Subject: Re: [iucg] Internet Society joins Liberty Alliance Management Board: Why?

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:42:47 +0100

I also completely agree with John and Patrick.
I only regret that prior to engage into a new tehnical area, ISOC does not
create a thematic Chapter on the matter. I experiment this attitude with the
project of a _users_ chapter about IPv6 (http://isoc-ipv6.org) I propose.
Hiring specialists should not replace the work and the search of consensus
among the Members and the affiliated-IETF Participants. To the countrary,
these specialists should be the motivators of such chapters and benefit in
turn from their backing and contributions (and also of their attendance and
support in order to organize localized workshops).

jfc

---

Je suis moi aussi totalement en accord avec John et Patrick.

Je regrette seulement qu'avant de s'aventure dans de nouvelles direction
techniques, l'ISOC ne crée par un Chapitre thématique à son sujet.
J'expérimente cette attitude au sujet du chapitre d'utilisateurs sur IPv6 (
http://isoc-ipv6.org). Embaucher des spécialises ne devrait pas remplacer le
travail et la recherche de consensus parmi les Membres de l'ISOC et les
participants à la filliale IETF. Au contraire ces spécialistes devraient
être les motivateurs de tels chapitres et bénéficier en retour de leur
support et de leur contributions (et aussi de leur participation et de leur
soutien pour organiser des ateliers locaux).

jfc

2009/3/2 Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>

> On 2 mar 2009, at 04.12, John C Klensin wrote:
>
>  I am not suggesting trying to undo this decision, but believe
>> that, as ISOC adds sufficient technically-qualified staff to
>> engage in activities like this on its own, we need to work,
>> collectively, on better ways to facilitate communication in a
>> timely basis in the future.  In particular, we need to work
>> fairly hard to avoid a situation in which the IETF and ISOC end
>> up with different positions on an issue with external visibility
>> and consequences.  To do so would damage the credibility of all
>> concerned.
>>
>
> This I completely agree with, we have to avoid such situations.
>
> But we have to also to work hard on not to create a chicken out of a
> feather. Instead learn and do things even better next time.
>
> Regarding Liberty Alliance, I think we should let Lucy coordinate some more
> information for the IETF that can be presented in due time. As she said, she
> will (as well as I) be in San Francisco and we are all happy to talk.
>
>   Patrik
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>
>