Subject: Re: [iucg] Final Sigma (was: RE: Esszett, Final Sigma, ZWJ and ZWNJ)

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:00:06 +0100

2009/3/2 Erik van der Poel <[email-masked]>

> >> The current DNS does not allow ecole.fr and Ecole.fr to resolve to
> >> different IP addresses. So you will have to encode these somehow. This
> >> means that you need a prefix. You cannot use xn-- because that is for
> >> Punycode. You cannot use Punycode because it does not encode ASCII. It
> >> just copies the ASCII characters directly into the output. For
> >> example, français is encoded as franais-xxa. Note the directly copied
> >> ASCII characters "franais". Appendix A of Punycode (RFC 3492) allows
> >> you to encode upper/lower case. So you might have xn--Franais-xxa.fr,
> >> but this would resolve to the same IP address as xn--franais-xxa.fr.
> >> So you need something other than Punycode that does not copy ASCII
> >> characters directly to the output.
> >
> > No. If I include bigtitles as TEMPORARY (cf. my other suggestion),
> > "Français" would become "xx--ranais-bfcdq.fr" but "français" would be
> > "xx-franais-xxa.fr".
>
> I see. Does this use an assigned Unicode code point for the big F?

yes.

Good luck with your proposal. Do other French-speakers agree with this
> proposal?

This is not a proposal. This is a problem we (French speakers) have to
address; and it is a solution.

The problem will be addressed anyway, within IDNA or not. The target we
(france@large) have is that it keeps a maximum
compatibility/interoperability with IDNA.

jfc