Subject: [iucg] Clarification on ICANN and IDNs

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 04:15:24 +0100

Tina, Cary, Jean-Michel,

I would like to suggest you keep this kind of debate out of the 
WG/IDNABIS mailing list, unless you think Vint Cerf and Cary Karp are 
wrong stating that:
- the IDNA2008 text is completed.
- we have entered the testing and operational documentation phase.

1. Jean-Michel, please remember that ICANN is not the IETF. They are 
not in charge of the technology nor to make the Internet work, or be 
used, better. They are in charge of the contracts they signed with 
gTLDs and some ccTLDs. Their objective is to sign more ccTLD 
contracts. They use IDNs and competition between IDNccTLD and IDNgTLD 
projects to help this objective. You may object to this, but this is 
the ICANN mission and policy. Also, you are an Internet User, not an 
ICANN User, as you pertinently noted it.

2. Jean-Michel and Cary, please also remember that you have rather 
different points of view over the same thing. Cary's culture respects 
the selective ICANN's contracting strategy. ICANN decides of a move, 
proposes, selects, contracts. .MUSEUM is the result of such a 
selection process. Jean-Michel's culture is  open to all, on a first 
come first serve, no vote no king, no selection, and no 
discrimination but rough consensus and running code. What is 
surprising to him is the denial of IDNgTLD process on an equal basis 
to FAST TRACK.

3. Tina, if we want to reach a good cooperation over a BCP IDNA2010 
on the implementation, transition, and deployment of IDNA2008, I 
think we have to proceed jointly and in the open. We have to mutually 
understand each others. I committed to produce a general framework as 
an I_D in the coming two weeks. I suggest that we put everything on 
hold until I produce that document, ICANN documents its IDNA 
implementation team, stratey and mailing lists as you proposed (we 
will get it on the http:/:inda2010.org) and IESG approves the 
IDNA2008 WG/IDNABIS document set.

jfc