Subject: Re: [iucg] IDNA2003/2008 transition

From: Brottier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 02:32:37 +0100

Sorry, I meant :

2009/12/9 Maxime Brottier <[email-masked]>

> I have ___been___ explained some of the basic of the IDNA problem. Life is
> an incremental set of adaptations until it comes to a  conflicting
> situation. It then resolves it through a "catastrophe" (cf. René Thom's
> theory) or/and in a disruptive way (clean sheet) before it resume a new
> fractal equilibrium if it did not found it directly.
>
-- 
Dr. Brottier
INRTA

---

From: jefsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 05:28:17 +0100

Cher Drax,
Bienvenue !

Merci pour cette contribution qui fait bien le point sur la logique 
propre de la situation. Merci d'avoir aussi souligné l'aspect du 
double nommage (accents/sans accents) et des aspects adressage que 
cela représente.

Pour ce qui concerne la position de Google, je crois qu'il faut 
attendre la conclusion promise par Vint Cerf. Il ne faut pas, je 
crois, systèmatiquement une volonté de contrôle de la part de Google, 
mais sans doute une forte lassitude à ce que cela ne bouge pas. J'ai 
la même. A la fin il faut que tout cela bouge !!!!

Il faut une petite équipe de commandos développeurs pour faire 
avancer les choses. Puis tester.

Le point sur les IDNgTLD est bien. C'est le projet Multilinc pour un 
ULD ("user level domain", en fait un TLD mais déclarés par les 
fichiers netlocales) par entité linguistique. Et donc des centaines 
de premiers niveaux euro-asiano-africains qu'il sera difficile de 
déloger. Mais chaque chose en son temps. Pour l'instant il faudrait 
que je trouve un développeur C sous Windows pour faire un outil 
d'installation opérationnel de BIND et de ses additions.

Cordialement !
jfc

At 02:16 09/12/2009, Brottier wrote:
>My advice - but again I am just coming from the outer space and I do 
>not know you yet. My advice then, would be:
>1) to differentiate the linguist requirements from your concerns - 
>because they are the same in case/for everyone and you are no linguists.
>2) to seriously consider the needs of users, specially when they 
>have the capacity to forget about you and create havoc.
>3) to only discuss one layer at a time. In this case, you want to 
>discuss how the IDNA can support what (1) and (2) demand.
>
>I am not a network engineer. But I heard some explanations which 
>make sense to me. There is a basic flaw in your model: the diversity 
>of possible IDNA modules. Not only in the network, but also on the 
>same machine; may be even in the same utilization. This is an 
>additional reason for you to go fast (before there are too many 
>incompatible modules). Then to stabilize on a case by case basis. 
>Between Google, Users and ICANN Fast Track (including motivated test 
>IDNgTLDs). Otherwise IMHO your problem will not be the Greek and 
>German "s's", but a game over decided by Asia and Users.