Subject: [Jcardcal] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-01.txt

From: Philipp Kewisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 22:19:02 +0100

Hey Folks,

I have uploaded a new draft version with a few of the discussion points 
taken care of. Most notably, I have changed the text about dates and 
times to include BNF and references to the truncated and reduced 
representation.

Philipp

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-01.txt
Date: 	Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:27:12 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Philipp Kewisch and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json
Revision:	 01
Title:		 jCard: The JSON format for vCard
Creation date:	 2013-03-18
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 23
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-01.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-01
Diff:            http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kewisch-vcard-in-json-01

Abstract:
    This specification defines "jCard", a JSON format for vCard data.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:32:33 +0100

> times to include BNF and references to the truncated and reduced

All good stuff, thanks.

The only issue remaining is the group syntax, correct?

Simon

---

From: Michael Angstadt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:30:57 -0400

In the first paragraph of section 3.2, it says: "the vCard 4 standard
doesn't define a stream of vcard objects".  That's not correct if I
understand correctly. It is possible to define multiple vCards in the
same data stream.  For example, the vCard data stream below contains
three vCards:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:4.0
FN:John Doe
END:VCARD
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:4.0
FN:Jane Doe
END:VCARD
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:4.0
FN:Jarvis Doe
END:VCARD

> The only issue remaining is the group syntax, correct?

I posted a comparison between the ideas that were proposed for all
those interested:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg02720.html

My two cents: I think #4 is the best overall approach.  All of the
others either break jCal compatibility or have been deemed
error-prone/difficult to implement.

Thanks,
Mike
http://code.google.com/p/ez-vcard

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:32 AM, Simon Perreault
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> jcardcal mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/jcardcal

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:55:10 +0100

> error-prone/difficult to implement.

+1

I can provide text if we have WG consensus...

Simon

---

From: Philipp Kewisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:16:01 +0100

I am going to go with #4 on the weekend unless there are any objections until then.

Simon, I'd appreciate if you could provide the text for the formal group parameter registration.

Philipp

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:53:44 +0100

> Simon, I'd appreciate if you could provide the text for the formal group parameter registration.

3.3.1.2.  Grouping of Properties

[RFC6350] Section 3.3 defines a grouping construct that is used to group 
related properties together. In jCard, new GROUP parameter is 
introduced. Its purpose is to eliminate the need for group syntax in 
jCard, thus unifying the general syntax with that of jCal.

Namespace: <empty>

Parameter name: GROUP

Purpose: To simplify the jCard format.

Description: The GROUP parameter is reserved for the exclusive use of 
the jCard format [RFCXXXX]. It MUST NOT be used in plain vCard 
[RFC6350], nor in xCard [RFC6350]. In jCard, the parameter's value is a 
single opaque string. It MUST NOT appear more than once per property.

Conversion rules are as follows:

   - From vCard to jCard, the group construct (see [RFC6350] page 8) is 
removed. In its place, the GROUP parameter is added (lowercased, as any 
other parameter). Its value is a string corresponding to the group name. 
The name's case MUST be preserved intact.

   - From jCard to vCard, the reverse procedure is performed. The GROUP 
parameter MUST NOT appear in the resulting vCard.

Format definition: (Not applicable)

Example:

CONTACT.FN:Mr. John Q. Public\, Esq.

is equivalent to

[ "fn", { "group": "CONTACT" }, "text", "Mr. John Q. Public, Esq." ]

--> New subsection in IANA considerations section:

8.1 GROUP vCard Parameter

IANA has added the following entry to the vCard Parameters registry, 
defined in Section 10.3.2 of [RFC6350]:

             +-----------+-----------+------------------------+
             | Namespace | Parameter | Reference              |
             +-----------+-----------+------------------------+
             |           | GROUP     | RFC XXXX, Section x.y  |
             +-----------+-----------+------------------------+

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca