Subject: [Jmap] JMAP for Files

From: Joris Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:57:22 +0100

Hi,

during the last IETF Bron mentioned an upcoming filesync protocol built 
on top of JMAP Blob Management Extension called "JMAP for Files".

We are currently working on some projects in which we need to migrate 
file data along with contacts and calendars. Since we want to use JMAP 
for Contacts/Calendars for the latter, it would be great to have a 
similar "JMAPpy" API that we could use for files as well.

Beyond our particular use case, that might also be useful for other JMAP 
users and could serve as a potential successor to the use of WebDAV for 
Online storage.

There's work conducted or planned to port Contacts, Calendars, Tasks and 
Note over JMAP. We saw that Fastmail has custom support for files via 
https://www.fastmail.com/dev/files . Is there already something we could 
use, like an initial, rough draft? Maybe even some premature 
server/client implementations already exist that you could share with us?

Regards,

Joris

-- 
Joris Baum
Tel: +49 721 170293 16
Fax: +49 721 170293 179

http://www.audriga.com | http://www.twitter.com/audriga

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
audriga GmbH | Durlacher Allee 47 | 76131 Karlsruhe
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe - Amtsgericht Mannheim - HRB 713034
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Frank Dengler, Dr.-Ing. Hans-Jörg Happel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Neil Jenkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:01:58 +1100

Hi Joris,

> We saw that Fastmail has custom support for files via 
> use, like an initial, rough draft?

Sure, I've attached our internal spec for what we call the *StorageNode* data type, which represents a file/folder in a user's file storage. It's really pretty simple compared to the other JMAP data types; it just defines the filesystem hierarchy and metadata, and then the standard JMAP blob system takes care of uploads/downloads. You are welcome to use this as a basis for a draft if there's enough interest to standardise this.

> Maybe even some premature server/client implementations already exist that you could share with us?

We implement the attached spec at Fastmail but it's not something we are able to usefully open source at this time; it's deeply tied to our internal file storage system.

Neil.