Subject: [Jmap] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-jmap-smime-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 03:03:11 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-jmap-smime-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jmap-smime/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education).

Special thanks to Bron Gondwana for his shepherd's write-up  about the WG
consensus.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

-- Section 4.1 --

I cannot parse the sentence below, probably because of missing quotes or
punctuation:
        smimeStatus: "String|null". null signifies that the message doesn't
Suggest to replace with
        smimeStatus: "String|null". A smimeStatus value of "null" signifies
        that the message doesn't

-- Section 6 --

Just wondering about the cache for 10 minutes only... The amount of information
to be stored seems very little so the signature status should be kept until the
trust anchors are modified.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:48:15 +0100

Hi Éric,

Thank you for your comments!

Ok.
> trust anchors are modified.

It is more complicated than that. One of the underlying certificates 
might get revoked (which is outside of control of the JMAP server), so 
in general what you proposed wouldn't work. Picking this number is a 
balance between JMAP server re-doing the work and the server picking up 
external changes that might happen externally.

Best Regards,

Alexey

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:06:21 +0000

Thank you, Alexey, for the quick reply.

About the 2nd comment, you are right as I did not think about a certificate in the middle of a cert chain.

Regards

-éric

On 11/10/2021, 12:48, "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi Éric,

    Ok.

    Best Regards,

    Alexey