Subject: [Jmap] draft-ietf-jmap-smime reference to RFC 5257

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 07:45:08 -0700

Hi, me again,

The IESG just evaluated draft-ietf-jmap-smime and the topic of its downref
to RFC 5257 came up.  There's nothing wrong with the downref, we just
discussed the process in this particular case because there was prior talk
that this RFC should be upgraded to the standards track.  I seem to recall
the vibe about this when I first asked about it was "Yes, we should do
this, but not at this time."  Accordingly, the IESG will be adding it to
the downref registry.

Just checking: Does JMAP plan to take up that work at some point, or is the
sentiment more like "This is ripe for the standards track, and someone
should do this someday, but not us"?

Perhaps it's more aligned with EXTRA's charter?

-MSK

---

From: "Bron Gondwana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 10:31:12 +1100

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021, at 01:45, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> Hi, me again,
> 
> The IESG just evaluated draft-ietf-jmap-smime and the topic of its downref to RFC 5257 came up.  There's nothing wrong with the downref, we just discussed the process in this particular case because there was prior talk that this RFC should be upgraded to the standards track.  I seem to recall the vibe about this when I first asked about it was "Yes, we should do this, but not at this time."  Accordingly, the IESG will be adding it to the downref registry.
> 
> Just checking: Does JMAP plan to take up that work at some point, or is the sentiment more like "This is ripe for the standards track, and someone should do this someday, but not us"?
> 

Yes, I'd say that EXTRA is the place to do the work.  I'd be particularly interested in having feedback from servers that don't implement it about why they haven't, if we were to do more than just bless the exact existing design as non-experimental.

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, Fastmail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 10:58:02 +0100

On 22/10/2021 00:31, Bron Gondwana wrote:

>> The IESG just evaluated draft-ietf-jmap-smime and the topic of its 
>> downref to RFC 5257 came up.  There's nothing wrong with the downref, 
>> we just discussed the process in this particular case because there 
>> was prior talk that this RFC should be upgraded to the standards 
>> track.  I seem to recall the vibe about this when I first asked about 
>> it was "Yes, we should do this, but not at this time." Accordingly, 
>> the IESG will be adding it to the downref registry.
>>
>> Just checking: Does JMAP plan to take up that work at some point, or 
>> is the sentiment more like "This is ripe for the standards track, and 
>> someone should do this someday, but not us"?
>>
> Yes, I'd say that EXTRA is the place to do the work.
Agreed.
> I'd be particularly interested in having feedback from servers that 
> don't implement it about why they haven't, if we were to do more than 
> just bless the exact existing design as non-experimental.

Implementation complexity and the need to have some kind of database was 
a concern for me when I looked at implementing this. I suppose if there 
are clients that really need this, I can be swayed.

Best Regards,

Alexey