Subject: Re: [jose] #14: Support longer wrapped keys than OAEP allows

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:11:44 -0000

#14: Support longer wrapped keys than OAEP allows

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 I know of no symmetric keys used in practice that are greater than 1728
 (=2048-320) bits.  Therefore this is a theoretical limitation only - not a
 practical one.

 Should the working group ever decide to support a symmetric key type
 larger than can be wrapped with OAEP with 2048 bit keys AND should it
 decide that wrapping those symmetric keys with OAEP is desirable (and that
 simply doing so with a 4096 bit key isn't sufficient), at that point, this
 issue could be reopened.

 Until then, given that this is a theoretical problem, not an actual one, I
 believe that this issue should be closed as "won't fix".

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]   |       Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
     Type:  defect       |  [email-masked]
 Priority:  major        |      Status:  new
Component:  json-web-    |   Milestone:
  encryption             |     Version:
 Severity:  -            |  Resolution:
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/14#comment:3>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>