Subject: Re: [jose] #147: Section 4.10.2 - Algorithm and examples

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 22:36:29 -0000

#147: Section 4.10.2 - Algorithm and examples

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Unfortunately, draft-mcgrew-aead-aes-cbc-hmac-sha2-02 still convolves its
 algorithm descriptions with a particular set of packaging decisions
 concatenating certain inputs and outputs.  While it's headed in the right
 direction by acknowledging that other packaging decisions are possible in
 which the values are kept distinct in the new Appendix B (Alternative
 Interface for Legacy Encoding), both the algorithm descriptions and the
 example computation values still assume the particular concatenation of
 the values originally described in previous drafts.

 In particular, the ciphertext output S in -02 is still described as having
 the IV be a prefix to it, rather than being described as the distinct
 ciphertext value E, as done in draft-ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-16.
 The examples in -02 do the same.

 Until that is addressed, I believe that the current presentation of the
 packaging used by JOSE remains too confusing for developers to easily use,
 hence the continued need for the duplication of this content in our
 specifications.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked] |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
 Priority:  Editorial    |   Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |     Version:
  algorithms             |  Resolution:
 Severity:  -            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/147#comment:1>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>