Subject: Re: [jose] #71: Section 3.2 - "use" (Key Use) Parameter

From: "jose issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:22:19 -0000

#71: Section 3.2 - "use" (Key Use) Parameter

Description changed by [email-masked]:

Old description:

> A. What are the requirements for defining a new use string.  Is there a
> registry for this, are they supposed to be collision resistant?
>
> B. Use of member is OPTIONAL does not convey sufficient information. For
> whom is it optional?
>
> C. What happens if use is absent is not covered in the document.
>
> D. John Bradley made a big deal at the Berlin meeting about the fact that
> this needs to be a single value rather than a multi-value field.  The
> reasoning behind this was that allowing for multiple values was an evil
> thing.  This would imply that this is not an optional field but is, at a
> minimum a SHOULD field with heavy language about when one would not
> specify a value.  all uses (absent) is worse than some usages (multi) is
> worse than one usage (single).

New description:

 A. What are the requirements for defining a new use string.  Is there a
 registry for this, are they supposed to be collision resistant?

 * FIXED: A registry now exists for this field.

 B. Use of member is OPTIONAL does not convey sufficient information. For
 whom is it optional?

 C. What happens if use is absent is not covered in the document.

 D. John Bradley made a big deal at the Berlin meeting about the fact that
 this needs to be a single value rather than a multi-value field.  The
 reasoning behind this was that allowing for multiple values was an evil
 thing.  This would imply that this is not an optional field but is, at a
 minimum a SHOULD field with heavy language about when one would not
 specify a value.  all uses (absent) is worse than some usages (multi) is
 worse than one usage (single).

--

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-jose-json-web-
  [email-masked] |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:
Component:  json-web-    |     Version:
  key                    |  Resolution:
 Severity:  -            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/71#comment:1>
jose <http://tools.ietf.org/jose/>