Subject: [jose] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-jose-cookbook-07: (with COMMENT)

From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 08:56:27 -0800

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-jose-cookbook-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jose-cookbook/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already made these comments by email, and discussed them with
Matt.  I'm quite satisfied that they're in hand, and no further response
is needed.

My experience is that any time there is a significant number of
examples, some of them will be wrong.  My experience is also that
readers will find those errors and will delight in filing errata
reports.  The shepherd writeup says that the compact encodings, at
least, have been checked for correctness, and I'm trusting that this
is adequate.  But please have pity on the Sec ADs and their
successors, who will have to deal with the inevitable errata, and
quadruple check things.  And make sure that errors are not introduced
during RFC Editor processing.  Do a more-careful-than-usual check
during AUTH48.

In particular, it is very importantant that the RFC Editor perform no
editing at all on the cleartext payloads.  For example:

   It\xe2\x80\x99s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your
   door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet,
   there\xe2\x80\x99s no knowing where you might be swept off
   to.

If the RFC Editor's editing should double-space the sentences, your
examples based on the published cleartext would then be wrong.
Please make sure the the RFC Editor understands that they must
not alter that text in any way... and then please check that during
AUTH48.

-- Appendix A --
Not that it matters terribly, but during AUTH48, you might coordinate
with the RFC Editor to make sure that single spacing (not double, as
now) is used after the periods in "J. R. R. Tolkien".  Kathleen might
put this into an RFC Editor note.