Subject: [jose] Header parameter uniqueness related problem in RFC 7516?

From: Philippe Leothaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 06:04:36 +0100

Hi there,

In RFC 7516, page 23 at the end of section 7.2.2 (Flattened) it is written
:

  "Note that when using the flattened syntax, just as when using the
   general syntax, any unprotected Header Parameter values can reside in
   either the "unprotected" member or the "header" member, or in both."

While page 17, in the 5.2 Section (Message decryption) it is written :

 " 4.   If using the JWE Compact Serialization, let the JOSE Header be
        the JWE Protected Header.  Otherwise, when using the JWE JSON
        Serialization, let the JOSE Header be the union of the members
        of the JWE Protected Header, the JWE Shared Unprotected Header
        and the corresponding JWE Per-Recipient Unprotected Header, all
        of which must be completely valid JSON objects.  During this
        step, verify that the resulting JOSE Header does not contain
        duplicate Header Parameter names.  When using the JWE JSON
        Serialization, this restriction includes that the same Header
        Parameter name also MUST NOT occur in distinct JSON object
        values that together comprise the JOSE Header."

My problem is that if a Header Parameter is in "both" the "unprotected" and
the  "header" member, it is therefore not unique.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Philippe Leothaud
42 Crunch