Subject: [Json-canon] I-D: draft-rundgren-json-canonicalization-scheme-05

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 20:36:08 +0100

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rundgren-json-canonicalization-scheme-05

Abstract:
    Cryptographic operations like hashing and signing requires that the
    original data does not change during serialization or parsing.  By
    applying the rules defined by the JSON Canonicalization Scheme (JCS),
    data provided in JSON [RFC8259] format can be exchanged "as is",
    while still being usable by secure cryptographic operations.  JCS
    achieves this by building on the strict serialization formats for
    JSON primitives defined by ECMAScript [ES6], constraining JSON data
    to the I-JSON [RFC7493] subset, and through a platform independent
    property sorting scheme.

    The intended audiences of this document are JSON tool vendors, as
    well as designers of JSON based cryptographic solutions.

This update primarily addresses the scope which was somewhat unclear in 04:
JSON level canonicalization (aka "Hashable" JSON) with cryptographic methods as consumers.

However, there are also updates on:
- Sorting rationale/options
- NaN/Infinity handling
- JCS Sample code
- IEEE-754 Sample Table
- Visualization of the EURO symbol in the I-D
- Other Canonical JSON efforts

Added reference to external application note I-D

Various language and style refinements.

Anders for the JCS team