Subject: [karp] draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-00 issued

From: Gregory Lebovitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:08:31 -0800

Hey all,
By now you might have seen the I-D Submission Tool announcement of the
-threats-reqs-00 document, or two. The first one you might have seen was
mis-titled "draft-karp..." instead of "draft-ietf-karp..." which is what I
submitted second.

Also, please note that I included in -threats-reqs these sections from
-lebovitz-karp-roadmap:   scope, goals, non-goals, audience. These sections
were also included in the -design-guide-00 documents. After reviewing that
one, I think that maybe those sections will go better with the requirements.
Now, we've toyed with the idea that once close to complete, we might
re-unite -threats-reqs and design-guide. That aside, we need to decide which
document will house those sections, and then the other will simply point to
them. I don't think it matters terribly much which one we chose, but I
prefer slightly that they be in the -threats-reqs document.

Others' thoughts?

Gregory.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-00
To: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-00.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Gregory Lebovitz and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs
Revision:        00
Title:           The Threat Analysis and Requirements for Cryptographic
Authentication of Routing Protocols' Transports
Creation_date:   2010-02-28
WG ID:           karp
Number_of_pages: 22

Abstract:
In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of
"Unwanted Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is
documented in RFC 4948 [RFC4948].  Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls for
"[t]ightening the security of the core routing infrastructure."  Four
main steps were identified for improving the security of the routing
infrastructure.  One of those steps was "securing the routing
protocols' packets on the wire," also called the routing protocol
transport.  One mechanism for securing routing protocol transports is
the use of per-packet cryptographic message authentication, providing
both peer authentication and message integrity.  Many different
routing protocols exist and they employ a range of different
transport subsystems.  Therefore there must necessarily be various
methods defined for applying cryptographic authentication to these
varying protocols.  Many routing protocols already have some method
for accomplishing cryptographic message authentication.  However, in
many cases the existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack,
and/or employ cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.
The "Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols" (KARP) effort
aims to overhaul and improve these mechanisms.  This document has two
main parts.  The first describes the threat analysis for attacks
against routing protocols' transports.  The second enumerates the
requirements for addressing the described threats.  This document,
along with the KARP Design Guide and KARP Framework documents, will
be used by KARP design teams for specific protocol review and
overhaul.  This document reflects the input of both the IETF's
Security Area and Routing Area in order to form a jointly agreed upon
guidance.

The IETF Secretariat.

-- 
----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks