Subject: [karp] NIST document with key lifecycle

From: "Polk, William T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:07:13 -0400

Thomas Hardjono mentioned a NIST document that includes a key lifecycle
during the karp session today...

The document is NIST SP 800-57 "Recommendation for Key Management  Part 1:
General".  I believe that Section 7 contains the material he was referring
to... Section 7 has only 4 pages, including the lifecycle diagram, so don't
let the size deter you.

The document is available at
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-57/sp800-57-Part1-revised2_Ma
r08-2007.pdf

If there are sections that the working group wants to plagiarize, as Thomas
suggested, I am happy to provide a reviseable form to simplify cutting and
pasting...  Sorry about the non-ascii art though.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

---

From: Gregory Lebovitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:22:22 -0700

Thomas,
Thanks for the pointer. I've read it. Could you let us know what you thought
should be done with those 4 pages? Are those meant to be input into the
KeyStore descriptions? Did you want us to consider that model in light of
something in particular in the KARP Framework?

Gregory

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Polk, William T. <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> karp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/karp
>

-- 
----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks

---

From: Gregory Lebovitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:47:27 -0700

Now with Thomas' correct email address...

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Gregory Lebovitz <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Thomas,
> Thanks for the pointer. I've read it. Could you let us know what you
> thought should be done with those 4 pages? Are those meant to be input into
> the KeyStore descriptions? Did you want us to consider that model in light
> of something in particular in the KARP Framework?
>
> Gregory
>
>
>> r08-2007.pdf<http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-57/sp800-57-Part1-revised2_Mar08-2007.pdf>
>>

-- 
----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks

---

From: "Thomas Hardjono" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:50:00 -0400

Hi Gregory,

The answer depends on the KARP high level architecture (ie. manageability
interfaces that a KARP-compliant devices exposes to the management console).

I think the first step is to define the conceptual architecture for KARP,
which would define its conceptual components. I believe the framework doc
may already be heading in that direction.

Below is an example of the conceptual architecture defined by the IEEE1619.3
folks in 2008 (see Page 8):

https://siswg.net/index.php?option=com_docman
<https://siswg.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=91&Itemi
d=41> &task=doc_details&gid=91&Itemid=41

The next step is to define the set of operations available in a KARP-device.
This is where the NIST 800-57 key management "lifecycle" becomes useful.

Then, if the KARP WG thinks interoperability with existing manageability
vendors is useful, we may consider creating a "profile" of the Oasis KMIP
spec specifically for KARP-devices.

/thomas/

 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Gregory Lebovitz
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:47 PM
To: Polk, William T.; Thomas Hardjono
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [karp] NIST document with key lifecycle

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Gregory Lebovitz <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Thomas,

Gregory

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Polk, William T. <[email-masked]>
wrote:

The document is NIST SP 800-57 "Recommendation for Key Management - Part 1:
General".  I believe that Section 7 contains the material he was referring
to... Section 7 has only 4 pages, including the lifecycle diagram, so don't
let the size deter you.

The document is available at
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-57/sp800-57-Part1-revised2_Ma
<http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-57/sp800-57-Part1-revised2_M
ar08-2007.pdf> 
r08-2007.pdf

Thanks,

Tim Polk

-- 
----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks

-- 
----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks