Subject: [karp] Comment on LMP Analysis Presentation

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:05:04 +0000

Hi Mahesh, et al,

I couldn't find the requirement for TCP packets in the LMP protocol. Perhaps, it isn't needed. I'm not an LMP expert but there could be confusion due to the reuse  of the ASON terminology. See this excerpt from RFC 4394:

2.  ASON Terminology and Abbreviations Related to Discovery

   ITU-T Recommendation G.8080 Amendment 1 [G.8080] and ITU-T
   Recommendation G.7714 [G.7714] provide definitions and mechanisms
   related to transport plane discovery.

   Note that in the context of this work, "Transport" relates to the
   data plane (sometimes called the transport plane or the user plane)
   and does not refer to the transport layer (layer 4) of the OSI seven
   layer model, nor to the concept of transport intended by protocols
   such as the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).

   Special care must be taken with the acronym "TCP", which within the
   context of the rest of this document means "Termination Connection
   Point" and does not indicate the Transmission Control Protocol.

Thanks,

Acee

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 17:17:44 +0200 (CEST)

I think acee is right, LMP doesn't use TCP.

Lou

On 2:05pm, July 31, 2013, Acee Lindem wrote:
> 2. ASON Terminology and Abbreviations Related to Discovery ITU-T Recommendation G.8080 Amendment 1 [G.8080] and ITU-T Recommendation G.7714 [G.7714] provide definitions and mechanisms related to transport plane discovery. Note that in the context of this work, "Transport" relates to the data plane (sometimes called the transport plane or the user plane) and does not refer to the transport layer (layer 4) of the OSI seven layer model, nor to the concept of transport intended by protocols such as the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). Special care must be taken with the acronym "TCP", which within the context of the rest of this document means "Termination Connection Point" and does not indicate the Transmission Control Protocol. 
> Thanks, Acee