Subject: [keyassure] CA-related event in DC on Friday

From: Stephen Schultze <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:39:36 -0400

Hey all, those of you in the DC area you may be interested in an event  
my research center is hosting along with New America Foundation.  The  
full description is below.  Video will be available after the event.

==

Emerging Threats to Online Trust: The Role of Public Policy and  
Browser Certificates
http://citp.princeton.edu/events/emerging-threats-to-online-trust/

Date: Friday, October 22, 2010
Time: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: New America Foundation, 1899 L Street, NW, 4th Floor,  
Washington DC 20036
Hashtag: #ethreats

Hosted by Princeton's Center for Information Technology Policy and the  
New America Foundation

Every day, we rely on our web browsers to keep our communications  
secure. Whether we are submitting our credit card for purchases, doing  
online banking, or sending email, the same fundamental security  
structure is being used. The lock icon displayed by web browsers might  
give users reason to believe that the prevailing "certificate"-based  
model is trustworthy, but the reality is that many vulnerabilities  
exist and the risks are multiplying. Hundreds of different entities  
located around the world have the ability to issue fraudulent  
certificates that will nevertheless be trusted by our browsers.  
Overcoming the shortcomings in the current model and working toward a  
better model requires cooperation of corporations, the government,  
developers, and users. Many of the most difficult challenges are not  
technical in nature but rather social or political.

Keynote:
Andrew McLaughlin, White House Deputy CTO, Internet Policy

Panelists:
Peter Eckersley, Senior Staff Technologist, Electronic Frontier  
Foundation
Adam Langley, Senior Software Engineer, Google
Scott Rea, Senior PKI Architect, DigiCert
Paul Vixie, President, Internet Software Consortium

Respondents:
Ari Schwartz, Senior Internet Policy Advisor, National Institute of  
Standards and Technology
Andy Steingruebl, Manager, Internet Standards and Governance, PayPal

This event is free and open to the public. Please rsvp at:
http://www.newamerica.net/events/2010/online_trust