Subject: Re: [keyassure] CA-related event in DC on Friday

From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:06:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

stephen and all,

  Thanks for this information, but the thing is that we are
just 4 days before this event getting the information.  That's
a bit short of a time lead.  Will this event be taken on the road
perhaps in the near future?  The video is fine, but doesn't allow
for much interaction...

-----Original Message-----
>From: Stephen Schultze <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Oct 18, 2010 9:39 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [keyassure] CA-related event in DC on Friday
>
>Hey all, those of you in the DC area you may be interested in an event  
>my research center is hosting along with New America Foundation.  The  
>full description is below.  Video will be available after the event.
>
>==
>
>Emerging Threats to Online Trust: The Role of Public Policy and  
>Browser Certificates
>http://citp.princeton.edu/events/emerging-threats-to-online-trust/
>
>Date: Friday, October 22, 2010
>Time: 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
>Location: New America Foundation, 1899 L Street, NW, 4th Floor,  
>Washington DC 20036
>Hashtag: #ethreats
>
>Hosted by Princeton's Center for Information Technology Policy and the  
>New America Foundation
>
>Every day, we rely on our web browsers to keep our communications  
>secure. Whether we are submitting our credit card for purchases, doing  
>online banking, or sending email, the same fundamental security  
>structure is being used. The lock icon displayed by web browsers might  
>give users reason to believe that the prevailing "certificate"-based  
>model is trustworthy, but the reality is that many vulnerabilities  
>exist and the risks are multiplying. Hundreds of different entities  
>located around the world have the ability to issue fraudulent  
>certificates that will nevertheless be trusted by our browsers.  
>Overcoming the shortcomings in the current model and working toward a  
>better model requires cooperation of corporations, the government,  
>developers, and users. Many of the most difficult challenges are not  
>technical in nature but rather social or political.
>
>Keynote:
>Andrew McLaughlin, White House Deputy CTO, Internet Policy
>
>Panelists:
>Peter Eckersley, Senior Staff Technologist, Electronic Frontier  
>Foundation
>Adam Langley, Senior Software Engineer, Google
>Scott Rea, Senior PKI Architect, DigiCert
>Paul Vixie, President, Internet Software Consortium
>
>Respondents:
>Ari Schwartz, Senior Internet Policy Advisor, National Institute of  
>Standards and Technology
>Andy Steingruebl, Manager, Internet Standards and Governance, PayPal
>
>This event is free and open to the public. Please rsvp at:
>http://www.newamerica.net/events/2010/online_trust
>_______________________________________________
>keyassure mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyassure

Regards,
Jeffrey A. Williams
"Obedience of the law is the greatest freedom" -
   Abraham Lincoln

"Credit should go with the performance of duty and not with what is very
often the accident of glory" - Theodore Roosevelt

"If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B; liability
depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
===============================================================
Updated 1/26/04
CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security IDNS. div. of
Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
ABA member in good standing member ID 01257402 E-Mail [email-masked]
Phone: 214-244-4827

---

From: Steve Schultze <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:30:58 -0400

My apologies for the short notice. Frankly, I wasn't even sure if it was appropriate to send event info to the list.  I'm glad folks are interested.

At the event, I will be doing an extended introduction/tutorial along with Ed Felten, and I'd be happy to make sure any input from the list is represented.  Feel free to email me directly or tweet to #ethreats.  I believe that there will also be a live stream (linked from the New America events page), and the moderator will keep his eye on twitter during the event.

I'll also be in Beijing, and I'm looking forward to a more interactive conversation there.

Steve

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 18:08:57 -0400

> My apologies for the short notice. Frankly, I wasn't even sure if it was appropriate to send event info to the list.  I'm glad folks are interested.

Very interested -- unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but it looks very interesting...
Please send a followup letting us know how it went off...

W