Subject: Re: [keyassure] [dane] #14: Bare Public Keys

From: "dane issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:43:30 -0000

#14: Bare Public Keys

Comment(by henry.story@…):

 That ended up being a long thread.

 One part of the discussion was on what the keys should look like. A simple
 and standard compliant bare public key format would be the one defined by
 X509 itself, namely the subset of X509 that defines.

 RSAPublicKey ::= SEQUENCE {
     modulus           INTEGER,  -- n
     publicExponent    INTEGER   -- e
   }

 More on this here:

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/keyassure/current/msg01850.html

 The thread of February 14th is long, and one summary of the pros and cons
 can be found here, with pointers

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/keyassure/current/msg01900.html

-- 
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  mlepinsk@…          |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor               |   Milestone:     
Component:  protocol            |     Version:     
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:     
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dane/trac/ticket/14#comment:2>
dane <http://tools.ietf.org/dane/>

---

From: "dane issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:00:20 -0000

#14: Bare Public Keys

 Paul Hoffman added in http://www.ietf.org/mail-
 archive/web/keyassure/current/msg02129.html

 "Those arguing against" had additional claims. The one I heard a few times
 was "there is no good reason to have bare keys in DANE if you cannot have
 them in TLS". That is, you can't do straight matching with a bare key
 because that is not a form that is allowed by TLS. If TLS is extended with
 a standards-track extension that adds bare keys, I would argue that TLSA
 should have it as well, but probably not until then.

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/dane/trac/ticket/14#comment:3>
dane <http://tools.ietf.org/dane/>