Subject: [KEYPROV] Recommended AES Key wrapping mechanism

From: "Philip Hoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:53:24 +0100

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the keyprov specification we have made a recommendation to use
AES-Keywrap algorithms when transporting keys, whose value are not
multiple of 8 bytes.

We referenced a draft from Russ Housley that has now become an RFC
(5649)  (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5649) to be precise.

Now reading through the RFC there are two wrapping algorithms presented
AES-KW1 and AES-KW2

Also even if the spec dfines ASN.1 identifier like 'id-aes128-wrap-pad'
it does not define any URI for the algorithm.

Since we recommend this algorithm do we need to change the
recommendation text somehow to reference a specific wrapping algorithm
or do we need to define URIs for the keywrap algorithms?

Philip

________________________________

Philip Hoyer 

Senior Architect - Office of CTO

ActivIdentity (UK)

117 Waterloo Road

London SE1 8UL

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7960 0220

Fax: +44 (0) 20 7902 1985

Private and confidential: This message and any attachments may contain

privileged / confidential information. If you are not an intended
recipient,

you must not copy, distribute, discuss or take any action in reliance on
it.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender

and delete this message immediately.

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:09:59 -0500

Philip,

I think you misread RFC 5649.  The last two sentences in Section 4 of 
RFC 5649 say: "The next two sections specify the wrapping and unwrapping 
processes, called the extended key wrapping process and the extended key 
unwrapping process, respectively. These names distinguish these 
processes from the ones specified in [AES-KW1] and [AES-KW2]."  "These 
names" and "these processes" refer to the "extended key wrapping 
process" and the "extended key unwrapping process" that are defined in 
the sections that follow. Also AES-KW2, which is RFC 3394, is just the 
RFC for AES-KW1, which is the original NIST spec.

(I just found these a second ago) The URIs for AES Key Wrap with Padding 
128, 192, and 256 are specified here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-xmlenc-core1-20090730/#sec-kw-aes-with-pad

spt

Philip Hoyer wrote:
> Also even if the spec dfines ASN.1 identifier like 'id-aes128-wrap-pad’ 
> privileged / confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient,
> 
> you must not copy, distribute, discuss or take any action in reliance on it.
> 
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> KEYPROV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyprov