Subject: [KEYPROV] KEYPROV - Lost Opportunity

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 17:12:17 +0200

Now banks in the Nordic countries and in the UK have finally rolled out
3D Secure (AKA Verified By Visa and Master Card secure code).

Although this is a good idea it also makes it much more difficult using
credit-cards on the Internet.  An ideal solution had been to use mobile
phones with OTP.  However, the security vendors desire to own the
infrastructure have made it too hard to enroll OTP in mobile phones.

Unfortunately, KEYPROV is not alone!  Microsoft have made a total
screw-up with their once brilliant Information Card technology by not making
it available in for example enhanced USB sticks and adding PKI support as well.

If there is any hope it will most certainly not come from the established channels,
they are already up to their necks in defending their existing products and sales.

I'm [still] convinced that these three core technologies must be supported by a
common provisioning and usage scheme to ever reach the consumer market.
A key is a key, how hard can it be?

Anders
definitely a bad guy

---

From: "Philip Hoyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 17:28:17 +0200

Anders,
I do not believe it is a lost opportunity at all. There is a lot of
value in KEYPROV as it is even if it does not currently satisfy the
complete use case for internet and browser provisioning.

So let's build upon what we have to address the use cases that are still
outstanding.

Philip

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Anders Rundgren
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:12 PM
To: KEYPROV
Subject: [KEYPROV] KEYPROV - Lost Opportunity

Unfortunately, KEYPROV is not alone!  Microsoft have made a total
screw-up with their once brilliant Information Card technology by not
making
it available in for example enhanced USB sticks and adding PKI support
as well.

If there is any hope it will most certainly not come from the
established channels,
they are already up to their necks in defending their existing products
and sales.

I'm [still] convinced that these three core technologies must be
supported by a
common provisioning and usage scheme to ever reach the consumer market.
A key is a key, how hard can it be?

Anders
definitely a bad guy
_______________________________________________
KEYPROV mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyprov

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:36:11 -0400

I agree!
Andrea

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Philip Hoyer
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:28 AM
To: Anders Rundgren; KEYPROV
Subject: Re: [KEYPROV] KEYPROV - Lost Opportunity

Anders,

Philip

-----Original Message-----

Anders
definitely a bad guy