Subject: [KEYPROV] FW: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-13.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 13:56:59 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 1:45 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-13.txt 

New version (-13) has been submitted for draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-13.txt.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-13.txt

Diff from previous version:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-keyprov-dskpp-13

IETF Secretariat.

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:40:59 -0400

Thanks for doing this Andrea.

One substantive change to the protocol that should be noted is that
SASL stringprep is now used for UNICODE passwords. I know we discussed
this but I cannot remember if anyone cared.

Some members of the IESG did care, they thought that consistency was
important and in the absence of an actual reason not to use SASL
stringprep, I agree.

Is there anyone who thinks this is an issue?

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 1:56 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> KEYPROV mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/keyprov
>

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 06:11:02 +0200

Thanx Philip!

I had never heard about this before.  There is always something new to learn :-)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4013.txt

Personally I would reject a scheme where a password in UTF-8 like

    I<U+00AD>X

is supposed to be translated to

    IX

The motives may be good but I think it creates more problems
than it solves.  For KeyGen2/SKS I will absolutely not adopt this,
that's for sure.  For encrypted passwords it would mean that the
token would do this translation (?) and that's a really horrible idea.

Anders

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 00:12:37 -0400

You know of a token where you can input unicode sequences direct?

---

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:33:43 +0200

Phil,

It seems that your request for SASL stringrep was honored in DSKPP
so this is not a topic anymore.

 > You know of a token where you can input unicode sequences direct?

In SKS/KeyGen2 all string data is assumed to be in UTF-8 which can be
inputted from any computer and which has a defined byte-representation.

So yes, SKS tokens *do* Unicode although they do not really know
what Unicode is.

If UTF-8 doesn't work with Chinese, Arabic, or Japanese without an
extra layer of interpretation it IMO means tha  "XML failed" since it
by default is supposed to be coded in UTF-8.

Anders

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 22:05:08 -0400

It was not my request.

It was a request from the IESG that is changed with worrying about
consistency across the specs.

It does seem better to me to have one mechanism in use than two
different ones for different specs. But it is a material change so I
thought I should notify the group to see if anyone had a reason to do
it differently.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Anders Rundgren
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>>> To: [email-masked];
>>>>> [email-masked]; [email-masked];
>>>>> [email-masked]