Subject: Submitted draft-hartman-gss-naming-01

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:49:57 -0400

I've submitted version 01 of my naming draft.  I have reorganized it
somewhat.  My goal is to turn this into a problem statement and
solution map for the improvements we're trying to make to GSS naming.
My hope is that we can get agreement that this draft accurately
describes the situations we'd like to get our naming architecture to
work under.  IN the next version or so, I'd like to get to a point
where it describes all the solutions we are considering and the
problems we'd have to solve to implement these solutions.

I beliee I have sections for the three major solutions:

* name attributes
* credential extensions

* Mechanisms to use with gss_export_name

I'd appreciate help from Martin and Nico on the third solution.  I
don't seem to find the discussion in my archives and I'm not sure I
fully understand it.  In particular, was the goal to simply allow
mechanism names to be mapped into things like machine user ids or did
that solution also deal with exposing things like Kerberos
authorization data?
solutio

I've also attempted to address two of Martin's three major objections
to the draft.  I've tried to clear up the distinction between
authorization and authentication in the draft.  I think things were
clear in my head, but I was unclear in my language.  I've also tried
to make the text consistent with the idea that any particular ACL will
need some canonical authorization form.  I've not stated this
explicitly, but I believe the text is consistent with that.

I chose not to address Martin's other concern.  He believed I should
discuss implementations that have gone beyond (or in some cases
violated) the GSSAPI spec.  I wasn't able to fit that discussion in
with what I was trying to say.  I'm certainly happy to include details
of implementation extensions (both within the spec and beyond what is
permitted by the spec) where they make a useful point to the
discussion that is here before us.

--Sam

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten