Subject: Re: Why combine the Java and C# bindings?

From: "Juan Carlos Luciani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:36:59 -0600

Nico,

I have decided to submit a new draft defining the C# bindings in one document.
I believe that doing so will make it easier on C# developers in the long run.

The new document will borrow heavily from RFC2853 and give appropriate credit. I am
hoping to have it ready towards the end of next week.

As far as the I/O stream class question that you had, C# does classes that match the
Java implementations.

Thanks,

Juan Carlos

>>> Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]> 04/20/05 1:10 PM >>>
On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:47:20AM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> WG consensus on the matter hasn't been reached.
> 
> I for one would like to hear more about why or why not C# bindings
> shouldn't be in the same doc as Java bindings.

Mayank has made, privately, one technical argument about the lack in C#
of an equivalent for the Java stream classes used in the Java bindings.

I believe that, if accurate, that may yet turn out to be a very good
reason for specifying the bindings for those two languages in separate
documents as the differences between one set of bindings an another
might differ too much to justify specifying in one document, and the two
bindings would probably progress at different rates, thus the
specification of one might hold up the other.

I would like to know, out of curiosity if nothing else, if there really
are any differences between Java and C# that make it impossible to
specify the C# bindings of the GSS-API in terms of lexical
transformations of the Java bindings, as Juan has attempted.

If the C# bindings of the GSS-API cannot be expressed simply and in
terms of the Java bindings then I see no strong reason to specify the
two in one document.

My mind is not entirely made up as I'm still missing information, but
the authors of the existing I-Ds seem willing to pursue separate paths.

Jeff, do you think we need a consensus call, or is there consensus
already?

Nico
-- 

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten