Subject: Re: Updated I18N proposal

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:06:53 -0400

>Really, it is much easier if you can check whether some library implements
>a functionality with a simple "nm libxyz.so" or "dumpbin /exports xyz32.dll"
>than having to write code, compile, run and look at the return code in
>order to find out.

I agree that it's easier to check if the symbols aren't present ... but
it makes it a lot harder to write portable code.  You have to clutter
things up with some sort of autoconf-like test and put #ifdefs in your
code.  From a portability standpoint, I'd rather be able to check that
stuff at runtime.  Maybe if there was some preprocessor symbol that the
header file defined if those functions didn't exist, it wouldn't be so
bad ... but that means you can't just upgrade a shared library and have
things automatically work.

--Ken

_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten