Subject: Re: [kitten] Updating IANA krb5 GSSAPI token type registry

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:56:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> I'll tabulate these and send mail to [email-masked] in a few days unless 
> alternate advice materializes.
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-abfab-gss-eap/ indicates that the 
> IESG has sent it to the RFC editor, so it may be a bit late to get it to 
> include the additional RFC 1964 token types.

It turns out that it would be easier for IANA if the abfab-gss-eap 
document which creates the registry was updated to include all the 
published values in existing RFCs.  With regard to non-final drafts, the 
document authors will probably be on the hook for getting values 
allocated:

> Unfortunately, we don't have an expert yet. I'll submit an item for
>    the next IESG telechat (on the 29th) asking an AD to find someone
>    they can designate. It may be possible to get someone designated on
>    that very telechat, but it could take longer.
>
> Finally, the authors of the in-process I-Ds need to send each request
>    to [email-masked] themselves, if they're ready. If they suspect that
>    the details of those proposed registrations could change, they
>    should wait for IESG approval, at which point we'll make any
>    requested registrations anyway, as long as they're included in the
>    IANA Considerations section (although the values they want may not
>    be available).
>
> If they want to request specific values, I'd recommend submitting
>    their requests sooner than that, since we can't reserve values for
>    pending registrations. Whether an I-D-based request is ready for
>    registration or whether it should wait is up to the expert, though.

We mentioned a few in-progress documents:

draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-03 defines
    0400   KERB-TGT-REQUEST
    0401   KERB-TGT-REPLY

draft-ietf-krb-wg-iakerb-02 defines
    0501   IAKERB_PROXY

draft-howard-gss-browserid-04 section 4 defines
632C Initiator context token
432C Acceptor context token
442C Context deletion token
6D2C Initiator metadata token
4D2C Acceptor metadata token

Luke, I guess we can consider you informed, for the purposes of the 
browserid document :)

I guess we turned iakerb into a kitten wg document, so Jim should be able 
to take that on, I hope.

We might have some trouble finding an active author for U2U, though.  Once 
an expert reviewer is found for the registry, though, I suspect it won't 
be too hard to come to a resolution.

-Ben