Subject: [kitten] Our IANA registry allocation policies

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:25:38 -0600

should be one of two:

 - first-come, first-served
or
 - Expert Review

Expert Review should be required where namespaces are small or where
there is value for the community in having expert review (e.g., to
make sure that new GSS C bindings have OM_uint32 *minor_status first
arguments).

Heavy-duty allocation policies should only be required where we have
reason to believe that random allocations could cause others harm (and
by this I mean harm other than being pressured to implement anyone's
random extensions, I mean harm as in deployment of such an extension
breaking interop).

I've not looked at all our registries, so I don't have more specific
recommendations at this time.  It'd help to have consensus on this
general recommendation first.

Nico
--