Subject: [kitten] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth-07

From: Russ Housley via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 09:57:38 -0700

Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review result: Almost Ready

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-kitten-krb-spake-preauth-07
Reviewer: Russ Housley
Review Date: 2020-05-15
IETF LC End Date: 2020-05-26
IESG Telechat date: Unknown

Summary: Almost Ready

Major Concerns:

Section 1.2: A reference is needed for the "SPAKE algorithm" is
needed here, even if it is a forward pointer to Section 2.
Does this align with draft-irtf-cfrg-spake2?  Are you aware of
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/4018/?

Minor Concerns:

Abstract: Please explain "FAST", perhaps just a pointer to RFC 6113.

Section 7 says:

   First, the hash function associated with the selected group is
   computed over the concatenation of the following values:

A hash value is being computed, not a group.

Nits:

General: Please prepare for publication as an RFC by changing "this
draft" to something that is appropriate for an archival series document.

Section 1: In the first paragraph, we see: "preauthentication".  Then,
in the first paragraph of Section 1.1, we see "pre-authentication".
Please pick one.

Note:  I did not try to compile the ASN.1 or run the python script.

---

From: Robbie Harwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 18:27:19 -0400

Russ Housley via Datatracker <[email-masked]> writes:

> Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed by
> the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just like
> any other last call comments.

Hi Russ, thanks for the review.  Changes should be present in -08 unless
discussed further below.

> Major Concerns:
>
> Does this align with draft-irtf-cfrg-spake2?

It's derived from it, though they no longer totally align.

> Are you aware of https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/4018/?

I have seen it, but as Watson Ladd put it in
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/cfrg/senXefqczpUZo26B35ekz8d3iLo/

    I’m not a patent lawyer, and cannot speculate on any IPR conflicts
    that may or may not exist.

> Abstract: Please explain "FAST", perhaps just a pointer to RFC 6113.

We believe this is covered by the "Document conventions" section.

Thanks,
--Robbie

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 10:10:19 -0400

> On May 28, 2020, at 6:27 PM, Robbie Harwood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Signed PGP part

If these documents do not align, then another 3rd party disclosure should be made against this document, so the IPR holder can weigh in.

> We believe this is covered by the "Document conventions" section.

In my opinion, something needs to be in the Abstract.  Otherwise, the Abstract is not stand alone.

Russ