Subject: [kitten] Call for adoption on draft-whited-kitten-password-storage

From: Robbie Harwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 15:14:42 -0400

We've had some discussion about this in the "I-D: Best practices for
password hashing and storage", so here's a formal call.  We are, to be
clear, discussing this document:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-whited-kitten-password-storage/

Beyond Sam, I believe there is expressed interest from Simon and Dave,
as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

Thanks,
--Robbie

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 15:14:30 +0100

> as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

To affirm, yes I'm personally interested in working on this. I'll try to
bring people over from the XSF on this one as well.

>
> Thanks,
> --Robbie
> _______________________________________________
> Kitten mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten
>

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 18:29:17 +0100

Hi,

> as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

I support adoption of this draft by KITTEN.

Best Regards,

Alexey

---

From: Robbie Harwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:11:05 -0400

> as well as potentially the XMPP Standards Foundation.

kitten has now adopted this document.  As a reminder, the name going
forward should be something like draft-ietf-kitten-password-storage or
so.

Thanks,
--Robbie

---

From: "Sam Whited" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:34:27 -0400

Thanks! Does the source code hosting need to change now that the WG has
adopted it (I know TLS has their own GitHub organization, I don't know
if KITTEN does something similar) and should I reset the version number
to 00 when we publish the next one, or just change it to draft-ietf- and
continue to increment the version number from where it is now?

On Tue, May 19, 2020, at 15:11, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> kitten has now adopted this document.  As a reminder, the name
> going forward should be something like draft-ietf-kitten-password-
> storage or so.

-- 
Sam Whited

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 12:43:55 -0700

> if KITTEN does something similar) and should I reset the version number

KITTEN does have https://github.com/kittenwg though strictly speaking the
hosting does not *need* to change.

> continue to increment the version number from where it is now?

Yes, start as a draft-ietf-kitten-...-00 again.

Thanks,

Ben

---

From: Robbie Harwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 16:57:55 -0400

Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Thanks! Does the source code hosting need to change now that the WG
>> has adopted it (I know TLS has their own GitHub organization, I don't
>> know if KITTEN does something similar) and should I reset the version
>> number
>

As I've learned to do from previous chairs, this has been used mostly
for review tracking.  So for instance, this document has corresponding
repo https://github.com/kittenwg/password-storage

I wouldn't be opposed to making it also hold the working state of the
XML [1], but as Ben says, you don't have to change it.

Thanks,
--Robbie

1: If you *do* want it to hold the XML, poke me off-list and I'll set it
   up.

---

From: "Sam Whited" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:03:21 -0400

> repo https://github.com/kittenwg/password-storage

Oh nifty, I didn't realize that this existed. As long as it doesn't
hinder anyone else from contributing, I'm happy to leave the XML where
it is then. People can always send me patches directly if they want me
to apply them before releasing a new version.

Thanks again for all your help.

As always, if anyone has reviews or suggestions for the next version I'd
love to hear them.

—Sam

-- 
Sam Whited

---

From: Robbie Harwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 17:12:07 -0400

> to apply them before releasing a new version.

Yeah, it's fine where it is.  The idea here is that review/discussion
happens in a public place - i.e., on this mailing list - and therefore
it doesn't matter where the "development" version of the text lives
since we're more concerned with the published, versioned edition.

Thanks,
--Robbie