Subject: [kitten] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 12:49:31 -0800

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13-13: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-kitten-tls-channel-bindings-for-tls13/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This should be easy:

What's the "Subject" field in Section 5.1?  It doesn't appear to be a column in
the current registry
(https://www.iana.org/assignments/channel-binding-types/channel-binding-types.xhtml).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Abstract, if you're going to quote "default", you should also quote
"tls-exporter".

At the top of Section 5.2, I suggest:

This document adds the following registration in the "TLS Exporter Labels"
registry, which is part of the "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Parameters"
group:

---

From: "Sam Whited" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 18:16:39 -0500

Responses inline:

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022, at 15:49, Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker wrote:
> What's the "Subject" field in Section 5.1?  It doesn't appear to be a
> column in the current registry

That comes from RFC5056 § 7.1 [1] which requests that it be part of the
template used when submitting the registry entry.

> In the Abstract, if you're going to quote "default", you should also
> quote "tls-exporter".

It doesn't make a lot of sense to have "default" quoted there, on re-
reading. I'm not sure what that was about so I'll just unquote it.

> This document adds the following registration in the "TLS Exporter
> Labels" registry, which is part of the "Transport Layer Security (TLS)
> Parameters" group:

Thank you, I have added this in my text for the next revision.

—Sam

[1]: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5056.html#section-7.1

-- 
Sam Whited

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 15:56:55 -0800

> template used when submitting the registry entry.

Ah, thanks.  Without the reference to that document, I never would've
thought to look there.

They're basically describing the email message you're supposed to send to
IANA, so of course it has a Subject.  It's indistinguishable as presented
from a missing column without the reference.

I'll update my ballot.

-MSK