Subject: revised section 6 of kerberos-revisions

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:45:28 -0500

(Apparently both mime attachments and very long messages can cause
problems for the list software.  So, I'll make no more attempts to
send big documents to the list...)

I've put an updated copy of my revision of section 6 at
http://www.mit.edu/~raeburn/krbrev6-kr-2001-02-24.html and
http://www.mit.edu/~raeburn/krbrev6-kr-2001-02-24.txt .

This is the rewritten section 6 that defines encryption and checksum
algorithm profiles, to make it easier to see when an algorithm
specification is complete, and makes key derivation a separate concept
from the triple-DES spec.  It also defines some operations we didn't
have before but which are needed for various preauth methods being
defined.

The most significant change from the previous version I mentioned 10
days ago is that the des-cbc-crc description now specifies the use of
the key as the initial vector, to conform to current practice.

It still needs a little work, most notably
 * the combine-keys functions should be reviewed for sanity and safety
 * we should have test vectors for string-to-key and other functions

Aside from such things, I think it's in pretty good shape.  Please
look it over; I'd like to finish this up and get something Cliff can
incorporate ASAP.

Ken