Subject: ASN.1 in draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-02.txt

From: Martin Rex <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 23:13:58 +0200 (METDST)

Talking about the use of ASN.1, I have just looked at the
document draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-02.txt and I'm wondering
about it's use of ASN.1 as well.

rfc1964 defines a Kerberos GSS-API mechanism *without* adding any
*new* ASN.1 stuff.  All extensions to the Kerberos GSS-API
mechanism should follow this path.  I have the impression
the two contained (for an ASN.1 illiterate relatively simple looking)
structures are new definitions, and if that is true, they really ought
to be replaced with structures similar to those in rfc-1964 using
bits-on-the-wire definitions.

Is there any installed base of this?

-Martin

---

From: "Moore, Patrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:44:35 -0600

The installed base in this case was Win2k.  My implementation for Globus
initially avoided ASN.1 complexity - but I'm hoping that we might eventually
have interoperability with Windows SSPI clients that need usertouser
connections.   

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Martin Rex [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 3:14 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: ASN.1 in draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-02.txt
> 
>

---

From: "John Brezak" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:28:03 -0700

The installed base is Windows 2000.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Rex [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 2:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: ASN.1 in draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-02.txt

Talking about the use of ASN.1, I have just looked at the document
draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-02.txt and I'm wondering about it's use
of ASN.1 as well.

rfc1964 defines a Kerberos GSS-API mechanism *without* adding any
*new* ASN.1 stuff.  All extensions to the Kerberos GSS-API mechanism
should follow this path.  I have the impression the two contained (for
an ASN.1 illiterate relatively simple looking) structures are new
definitions, and if that is true, they really ought to be replaced with
structures similar to those in rfc-1964 using bits-on-the-wire
definitions.

-Martin