Subject: Re: krbrev - suggested change to section 1

From: Clifford Neuman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:44:56 -0700 (PDT)

Ken,

I have made the editorial changes you suggested.   Regarding your
suggestion on the reference to PKINIT, I have changed the text to the
following:

   Kerberos extensions (outside the scope of this document) can provide
   for the use of public key cryptography during certain phases of the
   authentication protocol [@RFCE: if PKINIT advances concurrently
   include reference to the RFC here@].  Such extensions support Kerberos
   authentication for users registered with public key certification
   authorities and provide certain benefits of public key cryptography in
   situations where they are needed.

The comment in sqare brackets is for the RFC editor so that a
reference can be included IFF pkinit advances concurrently, but the
reference can be omitted if not.

Cliff

   From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
   Date: 18 Jul 2001 19:15:23 -0400

   [Editorial corrections omitted]

   I'd drop the text relating to PKINIT, since PKINIT can't advance
   without kerberos-revisions, and a "PKINIT reference as RFC" means
   kerberos-revisions can't advance without PKINIT, which seems silly.
   How about:

	   Extensions (outside the scope of this document) could provide
	   for the use of public key cryptography and PK certification
	   authorities during certain phases of the protocol.

   This doesn't require that PKINIT advance with kerberos-revisions, and
   it doesn't suggest that PKINIT is the only way to do it, or that
   initial authentication is the only place we could ever fit in PK
   cryptography.