Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 06:53:12 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Rijndael, Twofish, and Serpent Cryptosystems for 
                          Kerberos 5
	Author(s)	: K. Raeburn
	Filename	: draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 03-Jul-01
	
The AES competition in the US [AES] has prompted the submission and
analysis of a number of new ciphers intended to be significantly
stronger and faster than the old DES algorithm.  This document
describes the addition of some of these algorithms to the Kerberos
cryptosystem suite.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jul 2001 15:13:01 -0400

The significant changes in this update are:

 - using the new "simplified profile" from section 6 of
   kerberos-revisions

 - define different "algorithms" for different key sizes, as suggested
   when this was discussed in WG meeting; the long names kind of suck
   though :-)

 - per John Brezak's suggestion, use PKCS #5 (with somewhat arbitrary
   parameters, feedback welcome) instead of SHA2 for string-to-key;
   keep the final key-derivation step

 - changed the test vectors for string-to-key to use the same inputs
   as I submitted for an appendix to kerberos-revisions; no actual
   computed key values yet, since I don't have a working
   implementation yet :-(

There will obviously have to be at least one more revision, once I've
got working code, and numbers will need to be assigned.  The
parameters for PKCS #5 (mainly the number of iterations) could be
changed.  We could drop the 192-bit variants of the algorithms if
people don't think they're worthwhile.

Please send any comments either to me or to the list.

Ken