Subject: need ur help...

From: Aneuya <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 12:43:28 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I am Aneuya and am working on a research project where
we have decided to provide authentication by means of
implemenatation of Kerberos V5.

As I alone am going to implement the whole mechanism,
right now i have thought of bare minimum things
specified in RFC 1510.

I am having one doubt. 

Can  whole KDC (AS + TGS) be a server daemon and will
autheticate the clients in serialized manner or will
it  be good if i run two separete daemons i.e. AS
daemon and TGS daemon ?

As of now we are not thinking that we will be having
tremendous number of clients or so....

So what will be the simplest design when u want to
provide bare minimum but as per standards in RFC
,authentication mechanism ??

Please give me guidance....your help will be imensely
appreciated.

Thanking you,

Aneuya

____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send a newsletter, share photos & files, conduct polls, organize chat events. Visit http://in.groups.yahoo.com

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:27:17 -0700 (MST)

> right now i have thought of bare minimum things

If at all possible, you should use an existing Kerberos implementation
instead of creating your own.  Two commonly-used, open-source
implementations of Kerberos V are available from MIT and the KTH in
Sweden:

http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/
http://www.pdc.kth.se/heimdal/

> it  be good if i run two separete daemons i.e. AS

Yes.  In fact, that's what virtually all implementations do.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer
   School of Computer Science - Research Computing Facility
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA