Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:40:23 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Encryption and Checksum Specifications for Kerberos 5
	Author(s)	: K. Raeburn
	Filename	: draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-00.txt
	Pages		: 41
	Date		: 11-Jan-02
	
The Kerberos protocols are designed to encrypt blocks of arbitrary
sizes, using stream encryption ciphers, or more commonly, block
encryption ciphers such as the Data Encryption Standard [DES77] in
conjunction with block chaining and checksum methods [DESM80].
Encryption is used to prove the identities of the network entities
participating in message exchanges.  The Key Distribution Center for
each realm is trusted by all principals registered in that realm to
store a secret key in confidence.  Proof of knowledge of this secret
key is used to verify the authenticity of a principal.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 2002 15:52:24 -0500

(Finally...only took 'em a week....)

That description was pretty useless, huh?  It's the first paragraph of
the introduction, after the comment indicating that the introduction
still needs work relating to the separation from kerberos-revisions.

Here's the abstract:

   The Kerberos protocol [Kerb] uses cryptography to protect messages of
   various sizes, using stream encryption ciphers, or more commonly,
   block encryption ciphers with block chaining.

   This document describes a framework for defining encryption and
   checksum mechanisms, defining an abstraction layer between the
   Kerberos protocol and related protocols, and the actual mechanism
   specifications.  This should allow either side to be extended more
   cleanly without requiring changes to the other.

   Several mechanisms are also defined in this document.  Some are taken
   from RFC 1510, modified in form to fit this new framework, and
   occasionally modified in content when the old specification was
   incorrect.  Some new mechanisms are presented here as well.  No
   requirements for implementation of specific mechanisms are made here.