Subject: retransmitting UDP messages to KDCs, use of TCP, etc

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:36:05 -0500

Should kerberos-clarifications, which describes the use of UDP and TCP
to communicate with the KDC, make any recommendations or requirements
concerning timeouts, retransmissions and multiple KDCs?  By way of
comparison, RFC 1035 does have some general recommendations, but no
specific requirements.

Ken

---

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:25:44 -0800 (PST)

> comparison, RFC 1035 does have some general recommendations, but no

   Yes. The transport AD's will almost certainly slam you
   if you don't.

      Mike

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:12:09 -0500

>>>>> "Ken" == Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:

    Ken> Should kerberos-clarifications, which describes the use of
    Ken> UDP and TCP to communicate with the KDC, make any
    Ken> recommendations or requirements concerning timeouts,
    Ken> retransmissions and multiple KDCs?  By way of comparison, RFC
    Ken> 1035 does have some general recommendations, but no specific
    Ken> requirements.

Probably we should give recommendations.

However at this late date in the process we should not hold up the
document for these recommendations and I'm not even sure we should
accept them if proposed.

It seems like a fine thing to defer for extensions.