Subject: Submission to IESG -three krb-wg documents - Clarifications, Kcrypto and AES

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:51:48 -0500

As chair of the KRB-WG I am submitting to the IESG these three documents 
as "Proposed Standard":  
 
 The Kerberos Network Authentication Service (V5)
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifications-04.txt

 Encryption and Checksum Specifications for Kerberos 5
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-05.txt

 AES Encryption for Kerberos 5
 http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-05.txt

The documents are interrelated, and thus need to advance together.

After 3 years  two interim meetings and a number of WG last calls the documents
are finally ready. The WG last call started 6/20/3 and ended on 7/4/3. 

Comments received with comments from the chair in "()": 

  6/23/3 Abstract  - Ken Raeburn
   nit-picking on the abstract.
    (The abstract may have some extra wording, but is still valid.) 

  6/23/3 Abstract - Jeffrey Altman
   nit-picking on the abstract, response to above. 
     (Reference to Kerberos IV could be dropped, but do not interfere with the 
      document.)

  6/23/3 Section 7.5.9 msg 68 description non-sensical - Ken Raeburn
   KDC_ERR_WRONG_REALM               68 USER-TO-USER TGT issued different KDC
   Error message does not make sense
     (This was used by some implementation at one time, but no one has
      found the reference. Leaving it as is reserves it for the unknown use.) 

  6/24/3 IPR statement? -Ken Raeburn
   Comments on [TM] by MIT for Kerberos in the End Notes
   Responses from Doug Engert, Tom Yu, Steve Bellovin.
     (The [TM] is the same as in RFC 1510, which has not ben a problem. 
      In the option of the chair, this is a low risk, and has not prevented
      the implementation of previous versions of the protocol.)

  7/7/3 Section 8.2.1 DES-MD5 - Love
   DES-MD5 should be RSA-DES-MD5
    (This is made clear in the Crypto document, so does not need to be changed 
     in the Clarifications)

As viewed by the chair, all of these have been addressed, or are minor enough
that the three documents have passed WG last call. 

(To the editors: If a further edit is needed, please change the reference in
section 8.2.1 from DES-MD5 to RSA-DES-MD5).   

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444