Subject: [Fwd: Problems with missing messages from IETF-KRB-WG]

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:20:01 -0500

Some people are not getting all of the messages from the ietf-krb-wg. 
The problem appears to be the same problem as reported in April. See the
two messages below. So if you are using an Exchange server, please make 
sure that you admins have set the hop count high enough. 

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Problems with missing messages from IETF-KRB-WG
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:03:41 -0500
From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
To: Kerberos WG <[email-masked]>

A number of people at Compaq and Microsoft may not have received
all of the messages from the ietf-krb-wg list. It appears their mail
systems may have a limit of 15 "Received:" headers on a mail message. 

The sender of one of these was from Microsoft, which added 5 
hops, one of which looks like a virus scanner. The ANL site added 6,
hops past spam and virus scanners and the majordomo mail list program.
The message as then sent to the list where it was forwarded 5 more times
before some mailer hit limit, and bounced it back to me. 

I have asked our mail people to look into the number of hops
we are adding internally. Other site might want to ask thier 
mail people if there is a limit.

But this maybe come a more general problem, as one popular
mail system has a default limit of 15 hops. 

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Problems with missing messages from IETF-KRB-WG
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:45:02 -0500
From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
To: Kerberos WG <[email-masked]>

All the messages which are not making it to all of the people on the list
are from "Paul Leach" <[email-masked]>

Mailers  at hp.com (via compaq.com), microsoft.com, cisco.com and umich.edu
are all returning "This could indicate a mail loop." 

It would appear that the mailers at these sites are enforcing a hop count
of 15.  Paul's messages are adding 6 hops to get out of Mocrosoft, to ANL.

They may all be using one of the Microsoft Exchange which has a default hop
limit of 15, but it can be set higher. 

Some fixes are:

  (1) Up the hop count on the Exchange servers at hp.com, compaq.com, midrosoft.com,
      cisco.com and umich.com 

  (2) Ask Paul to send mail from an address which does not take 6 hops to
      get to the outside. 

  (3) Have the mailling list remove some of the "Received" lines to hide the
      route.   

(1) might be a good idea, as this will be come a much more serious problem
    as more and more sites start doing spam and virus scaning on outgoing and incomming
    mail. 

(2) is a simple fix if Paul has another mail account. 

(3) I will look at this, but it too is a temporary fix. 

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444