Subject: Author question

From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:17:00 -0400

I've gotten mixed opinions on this before, so I thought I'd ask here since
all of the relevant people are on this list.

I'm in the process of publishing a new version of
draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-sam, and I'm going through and cleaning up all
of the various nits listed ID-nits web page, when something else occured
to me.

The Authors list for this draft are, in order:

Cliff Neuman
Glen Zorn
Ken Hornstein (me)
Ken Renard

To give some history, Cliff and Glen did the original work, the draft
languished, I picked it up along the way, and Ken Renard and I rototilled
it into it's current form.

Now, I have heard mixed opinions on who should be listed first on this
draft.  Some people said to me, way back when, that I should be first.
Other people said that I should add myself to the end, and that's what
I ended up doing back then.  But I noticed recently that Doug listed
Cliff as the primary author for this draft in recent WG list email, and
that coincides with other things I have seen that the first person on
the author list is the primary contact for the draft.  I don't think
Cliff is doing much with this draft anymore, although he's interested
in seeing it move along, and while the core ideas are the same, the
protocol has changed significantly since Cliff worked on it.  I have
no particular desire to be "first"; my only concern is that people might
contact Cliff if they have questions about it, instead of contacting me.
So I guess my question is: what should the author ordering be?  The current
ordering, or should I move myself to the top?  I searched the various IETF
documents, but I couldn't find anything illuminating.

--Ken

---

From: Clifford Neuman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:39:39 -0700

Ken,

I have no objection to your name appearing first, and I think that
that would more accurately reflect the current intellectual
contributions to the spec.

Cliff

   Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:17:00 -0400
   From: Ken Hornstein <[email-masked]>

   Cliff Neuman
   Glen Zorn
   Ken Hornstein (me)
   Ken Renard

   --Ken