Subject: Re: SASLPrep vs Full Stop code points

From: Ienup Sung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:42:56 -0800 (PST)

Regarding the full stops, while I do understand the point of display vs.
storage/query string in my opinion, I think the issue boils down onto
the followign two things in my view:

1. Should/can we treat ideographic/Asian full stops as equivalent characters
   of the ASCII full stop (U+002E) in 100% of the possible cases/usages?
   The answer is no since the U+002E is not only a full stop character but
   it is also a period and dot/decimal point character; CJK speakers do not use
   the ideographic/Asian full stops as the dot/decimal point character and
   hence some use of the ideographic/Asian full stops rather be preserved as
   they are to be distingushed. And in that cases, can we distinguish what to
   preserve and what not to preserve and map?

2. Should/can we keep the compatiblity with the IDNA's additional and
   pre-processing on the label separators, i.e., mappings of all full stops to
   the U+002E, for the domain style (IDN) names before they are used?
   I think the answer should be yes.

I know the above two sound conflicting and the example shown at the argument
#1 could be considered as a case that may not need to be really supported.
But I thought presenting them might be a valuable thing to do.

With regards,

Ienup