Subject: SASLPrep vs Full Stop code points

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:49:31 -0500

Over the last week I have realized that we may have overlooked a 
necessary mapping for the SASLPrep: Full Stop code points.

The Full Stop code points

    U+002E (full stop)
    U+3002 (ideographic full stop)
    U+FF0E (fullwidth full stop)
    U+FF61 (halfwidth ideographic full stop).

do not have mapping tables in StringPrep and are not mapped in NamePrep 
because IDNA (RFC 3490) uses these characters as an equivalent class of 
label separators.  Therefore, they cannot exist in any input to which 
NamePrep would have been applied.

It is my belief that SASLPrep must specify a mapping requiring all Full 
Stop code points to be mapped to U+002E (full stop).

Jeffrey Altman

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:56:57 -0500

>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]> writes:

    Jeffrey> Over the last week I have realized that we may have overlooked a
    Jeffrey> necessary mapping for the SASLPrep: Full Stop code points.

As you know, the document has already passed working group last call.
So if we are going to make a change we should come to consensus soon.
To that end, I'm seeking comments on this proposed change from the
working group.

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:54:39 -0800

> To that end, I'm seeking comments on this proposed change from the

I agree with Jeff's point.

Nico
--