Subject: RE: invalid ASN.1 in gssapi-cfx-02

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:52:18 -0700

Sam Hartman wrote>  
>> Larry should
>> we wait for Ken's comments, or should we ask Doug to start the last
>> call knowing that Ken will probably have last call comments that
force
>> a final version after the last call?

I would like to ask Doug to start the last call now.  But I would also
like to ask Ken: do you think that we can do a final version after the
last call?

Thx,

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Hartman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 6:53 PM
To: Liqiang(Larry) Zhu
Cc: Ken Raeburn; Tom Yu; [email-masked]		

>>>>> "Liqiang(Larry)" == Liqiang(Larry) Zhu
<[email-masked]> writes:

    Liqiang(Larry)> Ken Raeburn wrote:
    >>> RFCs don't change.  RFC 2743 will never change.  A reference
    >>> to it won't change meaning out from under us.

    >>> It's possible that there may be updates to the specification
    >>> or it
    Liqiang(Larry)> may
    >>> be made obsolete by some new RFC; if that happens, the
    >>> reference Tom is suggesting would still be to 2743, not "RFC
    >>> 2743 or whatever replaces it", regardless of how fast and
    >>> loose we're trying to play with that in other work.

    Liqiang(Larry)> This makes sense. Thanks!

    Liqiang(Larry)> Would it be reasonable by adding a sentence
    Liqiang(Larry)> clarifying that the encoding of the token framing
    Liqiang(Larry)> is described in 2743 and it is not using any
    Liqiang(Larry)> variant of ASN.1 encoding?

I think the important thing is to reference or copy the description
based on bytes not based on ASN.1 because Tom has  demonstrated
that the ASN.1 does not apply to our mechanism.

Ken, can you get your comments out within a week or so?  Larry should
we wait for Ken's comments, or should we ask Doug to start the last
call knowing that Ken will probably have last call comments that force
a final version after the last call?

---

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:15:26 -0500

"Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" wrote:
> I would like to ask Doug to start the last call now. 

Based on the discussions so far, I would like to see another draft first. 

> But I would also

The last call version should be the expected final vrsion. Since you
alredy know there are problems, please address these befire the last call.

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444