Subject: Status on Drafts

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 09:26:29 -0500

In an effort to get the WG milestones updated, I am again sending out
this spread sheet listing the various documents of the WG. 

Based on the Interim meeting, Sam is working on a PREAUTH-FrameWork,
that he promised by the November meeting. I have listed this in the
spreadsheet. 

I want to get milestones for at least PKINIT, GSSAPI-CFX, PREAUTH-FW,
and any others that people are willing to commit too. 

So please review this sheet, and send comments to me. 

-- 

 Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
 Argonne National Laboratory
 9700 South Cass Avenue
 Argonne, Illinois  60439 
 (630) 252-5444

Status

Name

Title

DraftName

PrimeAuthor

Issue Date

Next draft

Extensions

(new)

none See: http://www.kerberos.us

Many

PKINIT

Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication  in Kerberos

draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-16  (-17 sent to list only)

Brian Tung

9/12/2001

PKCROSS

Public Key Cryptography for Cross-Realm Authentication in
Kerberos

draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-cross-08

Matt Hurr

11/8/2001

Being droped in favor of GSSAPI-CFX

KCRYPTO GSS

General Kerberos Cryptosystem Support for the Kerberos 5 GSSAPI
Mechanism

draft-ietf-krb-wg-gss-crypto-00

Ken Raeburn

8/14/2003

GSSAPI-CFX

Crypto Profile Based Support for the Inclusion of New

Encryption and Checksum Algorithms in the Kerberos V5

GSSAPI Mechanism

draft-ietf-krb-wg-gssapi-cfx-02.txt

L. Zhu

9/30/2003

PREAUTH FW

(Framwork for preauth)

Sam Hartman

Extra TGT

(Older CAT draft)

Sam Hartman

Change/set PW

Kerberos Set/Change Password: Version 2

draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-00

Nico Williams

2003

LDAP Admin

Kerberos KDC LDAP Schema

draft-skibbie-krb-kdc-ldap-schema-02

Dona Skibbie

5/30/2002

U2U GSS

User
to User Kerberos Authentication using GSS-API

draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-03

Pat Moore

10/1/2001

Nov-03

IAKERB

Initial and Pass Through Authentication Using Kerberos V5 and
the GSS-API

draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-09

Jonathan Trostle

10/1/2002

HW Preauth

Passwordless Initial Authentication to Kerberos by Hardware
Preauthentication

draft-ietf-krb-wg-hw-auth-02

Matt Crawford

10/24/2002

(Part of Extensions)

UTF-8

Preparation of Internationalized Strings Profile for  Kerberos UTF-8 Strings

draft-ietf-krb-wg-utf8-profile-01

Jeff Altman

2/24/2003

SAM

Integrating Single-use Authentication Mechanisms with Kerberos

draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-sam-01

Cliff Neuman

10/1/2002

nonWG

PFS

Kerberos Perfect Forward Secrecy

draft-weber-krb-wg-kerberos-pfs-00

Joel Weber

7/24/2003

nonWG

SYNC

Kerberos Clock Synchronization

draft-weber-krb-wg-kerberos-clock-synchronization-01

Joel Weber

6/20/2003

IESG

KCRYPTO

Encryption and Checksum Specifications

draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-05

Ken Raeburn

6/10/2003

IESG

Clarifications

The Kerberos Network Authentication Service (V5)

draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifications-04

Cliff Neuman

6/19/2003

IESG

AES

AES Encryption for Kerberos 5

draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-05

Ken Raeburn

6/20/2003

REFFERALS

Generating
KDC Referrals to locate Kerberos realms

draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-02

Swift MS

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:57:06 -0400

draft-ietf-krb-wg-utf8-profile-01.txt has been replaced by 
draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-03.txt

Jeffrey Altman

Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Status 	Name 	  	Title 	  	DraftName 	  	PrimeAuthor 	Issue Date 	Next 
> draft
>   	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	 
>   	Extensions 	  	(new) 	  	none See: http://www.kerberos.us 	  
> Many 	  	 
>   	PKINIT 	  	Public Key Cryptography for Initial Authentication  in 
> Kerberos 	  	draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-16  (-17 sent to list 
> only) 	  	Brian Tung 	9/12/2001 	 
>   	PKCROSS 	  	Public Key Cryptography for Cross-Realm Authentication 
> in Kerberos 	  	draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-cross-08 	  	Matt Hurr 
> 11/8/2001 	 
> Being droped in favor of GSSAPI-CFX 	KCRYPTO GSS 	  	General Kerberos 
> Cryptosystem Support for the Kerberos 5 GSSAPI Mechanism 	  
> draft-ietf-krb-wg-gss-crypto-00 	  	Ken Raeburn 	8/14/2003 	 
>   	GSSAPI-CFX 	  	Crypto Profile Based Support for the Inclusion of New
> GSSAPI Mechanism 	  	draft-ietf-krb-wg-gssapi-cfx-02.txt 	  	L. Zhu 
> 9/30/2003 	 
>   	PREAUTH FW 	  	(Framwork for preauth) 	  	  	  	Sam Hartman 	  	 
>   	Extra TGT 	  	(Older CAT draft) 	  	  	  	Sam Hartman 	  	 
>   	Change/set PW 	  	Kerberos Set/Change Password: Version 2 	  
> draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-00 	  	Nico Williams 	2003 	 
>   	LDAP Admin 	  	Kerberos KDC LDAP Schema 	  
> draft-skibbie-krb-kdc-ldap-schema-02 	  	Dona Skibbie 	5/30/2002 	 
>   	U2U GSS 	  	User to User Kerberos Authentication using GSS-API 	  
> draft-swift-win2k-krb-user2user-03 	  	Pat Moore 	10/1/2001 	Nov-03
>   	IAKERB 	  	Initial and Pass Through Authentication Using Kerberos 
> V5 and the GSS-API 	  	draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-09 	  	Jonathan Trostle 
> 10/1/2002 	 
>   	HW Preauth 	  	Passwordless Initial Authentication to Kerberos by 
> Hardware Preauthentication 	  	draft-ietf-krb-wg-hw-auth-02 	  	Matt 
> Crawford 	10/24/2002 	 
> (Part of Extensions) 	UTF-8 	  	Preparation of Internationalized 
> Strings Profile for  Kerberos UTF-8 Strings 	  
> draft-ietf-krb-wg-utf8-profile-01 	  	Jeff Altman 	2/24/2003 	 
>   	SAM 	  	Integrating Single-use Authentication Mechanisms with 
> Kerberos 	  	draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-sam-01 	  	Cliff Neuman 
> 10/1/2002 	 
> nonWG 	PFS 	  	Kerberos Perfect Forward Secrecy 	  
> draft-weber-krb-wg-kerberos-pfs-00 	  	Joel Weber 	7/24/2003 	 
> nonWG 	SYNC 	  	Kerberos Clock Synchronization 	  
> draft-weber-krb-wg-kerberos-clock-synchronization-01 	  	Joel Weber 
> 6/20/2003 	 
>   	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	 
>   	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	  	 
> IESG 	KCRYPTO 	  	Encryption and Checksum Specifications 	  
> draft-ietf-krb-wg-crypto-05 	  	Ken Raeburn 	6/10/2003 	 
> IESG 	Clarifications 	  	The Kerberos Network Authentication Service 
> (V5) 	  	draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifications-04 	  	Cliff 
> Neuman 	6/19/2003 	 
> IESG 	AES 	  	AES Encryption for Kerberos 5 	  
> draft-raeburn-krb-rijndael-krb-05 	  	Ken Raeburn 	6/20/2003 	 
>   	REFFERALS 	  	Generating KDC Referrals to locate Kerberos 
> realms 	  	draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-referrals-02     	  	Swift MS 	  	 
>
> 	
> 	
> 	
> 	
> 	
> 	
> 	
> 	
> 	
>

---

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:25:02 -0500

> draft-ietf-krb-wg-utf8-profile-01.txt has been replaced by draft-ietf-sasl-saslprep-03.txt
> 
> Jeffrey Altman

OK, I will remove it as the replacement is in the sasl WG.

--

---

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:26:32 -0500

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> 
> "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > (Part of                     Internationalized
> > Extensions) UTF-8            Strings Profile     draft-ietf-krb-wg-utf8-profile-01                      Jeff Altman  2/24/2003
> >   for  Kerberos
> >   UTF-8 Strings
> That document has expired.  In the IDNA thread, Jeffrey Hutzelman
> mentioned in passing that, in extensions, principal names will be
> processed with the SASLprep stringprep profile instead.  I have
> implemented the above WG document, so this came as news to me.  Was
> this change of directions discussed?

No, there was no change. We are uisng the SASL string prep. I am removing 
the reference from my spreadsheet.

> Thanks,
> Simon

--

---

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:09:09 +0200

Thanks,
Simon

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:01:09 -0400

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]> writes:

    Simon> "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]> writes:
    >> (Part of Internationalized Extensions) UTF-8 Strings Profile
    >> draft-ietf-krb-wg-utf8-profile-01 Jeff Altman 2/24/2003 for
    >> Kerberos UTF-8 Strings
    Simon> That document has expired.  In the IDNA thread, Jeffrey
    Simon> Hutzelman mentioned in passing that, in extensions,
    Simon> principal names will be processed with the SASLprep
    Simon> stringprep profile instead.  I have implemented the above
    Simon> WG document, so this came as news to me.  Was this change
    Simon> of directions discussed?

Please look at the minutes for ietf 56:

 Jeff Altman, talked about the UTF-8 draft, and the SASL equivalent draft.  He
 will be looking at merging them, with help from the SASL chair. This
 should be a win-win situation for both WGs.

I believe that somewhere between then and IETF 57 we formally decided
to use saslprep.  I know that when I last called saslprep in SASL, I
sent the last call here noting we were going to use it.

Note that neither saslprep nor any other profile is appropriate for
clarifications.  If you are implementing a just-send-utf8
implementation you may not want to normalize so that you do what
Microsoft does.  Although as I mentioned earlier tonight you might
actually want to use saslprep.