Subject: Re: NULL etype removed by clarifications?

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:40:10 -0500

On Friday, December 19, 2003 07:54:03 -0500 Sam Hartman <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>>>>>> "Ken" == Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>     Ken> checksums, between the -02 and -03 drafts, I don't remember
>     Ken> if that discussion was public or not...
>
> I'm not sure if the discussion was public but I believe the WG was
> notified of the change.

This was probably not generally discussed, but it clearly was intentional, 
and the WG was notified of the change.  This change appeared in crypto-03, 
and was announced by Ken in a message dated 24-Feb-2003, detailing the 
changes in the -03 draft.

I also have private mail from around that time, indicating that the NULL 
enctype specification was removed as part of restructuring the way unkeyed 
checksums were specified, such that they are no longer tied to a particular 
enctype.  That went to the same group of people who designed the crypto 
framework, and none of them objected before or since.  I also can find no 
indication on the WG list that anyone objected to the removal of this 
enctype at the time.

-- Jeff