Subject: Pkinit -19 comments: section 3.2.2

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:39:45 -0700

> If the KDC does not have its own mapping and there is no Kerberos
> name present in the certificate, or if the name in the request does
> not match the name in the certificate (including the realm name), or
> if there is no name in the request, the KDC MUST return error code
> KDC_ERR_CLIENT_NAME_MISMATCH.  There is no accompanying e-data
> for this error.

Consider something similar to the language used in clarifications
section 3.1.5:

      It also verifies that the sname and srealm in the
      response match those in the request (or are otherwise expected
      values),

> If the name in the request is [special "blank"
> name], the KDC MAY insert a different name in the reply.

I think it is easier implementation wise if we introduce a new name type
"NT-ENTERPRISE-X500-PRINCIPAL". This name type is similar to
NT-X500-PRINCIPAL (would NT-X500-PRINCIPAL encode the issuer as the
realm name?), and it will force NC, but otherwise it can be the same as
NT-X500-PRINCIPAL.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 12:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-19.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos WG Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Public Key Cryptography for Initial
Authentication in Kerberos
	Author(s)	: B. Tung, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-19.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2004-4-12
	
This draft describes protocol extensions (hereafter called PKINIT) to
the Kerberos protocol specification (RFC 1510bis [1]).  These extensions
provide a method for integrating public key cryptography into the
initial authentication exchange, by passing cryptographic certificates
and associated authenticators in preauthentication data fields.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-19.t
xt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-19.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cat-kerberos-pk-init-19.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.