Subject: padata-type ?

From: Tim Alsop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:35:04 +0100

Hi,
 
Can somebody let me know whether there is a reliable and uptodate list of padata-type numbers, and if so where ? I see references to some in rfc1510 and some drafts contain references to padata-type numbers, so I wondered how somebody defining a new authentication method would determine if a number was not being used elsewhere ?
 
I am also interested in whether the padata-type is a reliable way to determine if a tgt was obtained using a one or two factor authentication method (for example), and/or to simply differentiate the many ways to obtain an initial tgt for a user or application.
 
Thanks, Tim.

---

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:02:23 -0400

>>>>> "Tim" == Tim Alsop <[email-masked]> writes:

    Tim> Hi, Can somebody let me know whether there is a reliable and
    Tim> uptodate list of padata-type numbers, and if so where ? I see
    Tim> references to some in rfc1510 and some drafts contain
    Tim> references to padata-type numbers, so I wondered how somebody
    Tim> defining a new authentication method would determine if a
    Tim> number was not being used elsewhere ?

The list in clarifications should be accurate.  Along with extensions
we will be setting up an IANA registry.

If you wish to use a padata for local use or for any other
unregistered use, then use a negative type number.  Simply using some
unused padata type would not be reasonable.

If you do need to register a padata type, ask Cliff for now; again
this will eventually be handled by the IANA.