Subject: PKINIT-23: DH GROUP SELECTION: ticket 530

From: "Liqiang(Larry) Zhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:03:25 -0800

Section 3.2.1

   5.  If the Diffie-Hellman key agreement method is used,
       implemenations MUST support Oakley 1024-bit MODP well-known group
       2 [RFC2412] and SHOULD support Oakley 2048-bit MODP well-known
       group 14 and Oakley 4096-bit MODP well-known group 16 [RFC3526].
       They MAY support Oakley 185-bit EC2N group 4 [RFC2412].  The
       exponent size used in the Diffie-Hellman must be selected so that
       it matches other parts of the system.  It should not be the
       weakest link in the security system.  It should have double the
       entropy of the strength of the entire system, i.e., if you use a
       group whose strength is 128 bits, you must use more than 256 bits
       of randomness in the exponent used in the Diffie-Hellman
       calculation.

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:02:15 -0500

>        of randomness in the exponent used in the Diffie-Hellman

I think it's pretty clear in the text of 530 that the WG consensus was MUST 
support group 2 and SHOULD support group 14.  There was no consensus to 
RECOMMEND any other MODP group, nor to say anthing about an EC2N group.

The point of #530 was that the "SHOULD group 14" requires a normative 
reference to the document which defines group 14, which is currently 
missing from PKINIT.

If you have an argument that the document should say something different 
than what it does, please describe the change and make an argument for it, 
instead of just posting new text without any context.

-- Jeff