Subject: PKINIT author/editor status

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:16:44 -0500

Between some changes that appeared in -22 and a couple of notes I've seen, 
it appears that there may be some confusion over the status of this 
document.  As we approach a final version, I want to make sure everyone is 
on the same page.

PKINIT is a product of the joint effort of quite a few people in this 
working group.  I'd guess that more than a dozen people have contributed 
text, and quite a few more have made comments and participated in 
discussion.  As such, there is no single person or small group of persons 
who can be properly called the "author" of this document.  Rather, the 
document was written collectively by the working group, and is _edited_ by 
Brian Tung and Larry Zhu.

The listing of authors or editors in an IETF document is tied to how our 
process works, and not to a desire to give credit.  The folks listed at the 
top do a lot of hard work, both while the document is being worked on and 
as it makes its way through the RFC-Editor process.  Most notably, they are 
the ones who are responsible for reviewing the RFC-Editor's changes (which 
may be substantial) and responding in a timely fashion.

As such, _only_ the active editors (Brian and Larry) will be listed at the 
top of this document, and in the "Editors Addresses" section.  This is what 
is required by the IETF process.  I am asking Brian and Larry to make this 
change in the next version of the document.

However, IETF policy does also require acknowledgement of significant 
contributors to a document, by listing them in a Contributors or 
Acknowledgements section.  The PKINIT document currently has such a 
section, but is missing a few people.  I am asking the editors to add 
several people to list already present.  If you feel you have made a 
signficant contribution and are not listed in pkinit-22 or the list below, 
please let me, Larry, and Brian know, and we'll correct any problems.

Cliff Neuman, Matt Hur, Sasha Medvinsky (all moved from authors)
Jeff Altman, Doc Evans, Karthik Jaganathan, Eric Rosenfeld

-- Jeff