Subject: Outstanding PKINIT issues

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:26:53 -0400

There are a whole pile of PKINIT issues on which I've issued consensus 
calls or calls for discussion, and heard not a whole lot of response.  I'm 
beginning to wonder how many people there are who actually care about what 
happens to PKINIT.  There seem to be a few active contributors, but not 
many people actually paying attention to what is going on or commenting on 
proposed changes.

We have a milestone to issue a WGLC on this document this month, which is 
never going to happen if we don't start working on it more agressively. 
So, I am going to start handling this document slightly differently...

- There will be a moratorium on new proposals to change PKINIT until all
  active issues have been resolved.  For this purpose, my definition of
 "active" excludes tickets 501 and 529, as well as any issues which have
  been resolved in the WG and merely await updates by the editors.

  Any new proposals should _not_ be sent to the list until the moratorium
  is over.  However, please do let me know if you have an issue, so I will
  have an idea whether there are outstanding issues remaining.

  Note that this does not mean that new issues will be ignored; they will
  just have to wait their turn.  The goal here is to avoid overwhelming
  people with too many active issues at once, in the hope that that will
  allow some progress to be made.  Have no fear; the document will not
  progress until all issues have been addressed.

- Any PKINIT-related consensus call that is currently outstanding, and any
  that I issue today, will expire at the close of business on Monday,
  April 25.  A consensus call which expires with no discussion or objection
  will be presumed to pass, which means that I will ask Brian and Larry to
  include the relevant text in the draft for WGLC.

  Note that I will not cut off active discussion on any issue; the goal
  here is to keep things from lingering on forever with no activity.

- As soon as all of the currently active issues have been resolved, I will
  ask the editors to prepare and submit a new version of the draft.  If
  there are no new issues, then this version will become the subject of
  a working group Last Call, which will be issued as soon as the new draft
  has been published by the IETF Secretariat.

There are currently active consensus calls on the following issues.  Some 
of these are old; some have just started today:

Tkt  CC Started   Description
===  ===========  ==================================================
838  14-Mar-2005  KDC_ERR_CERTIFICATE_MISMATCH
839  18-Apr-2005  KDC_ERR_KDC_NOT_TRUSTED and trustedCertifiers
841  14-Mar-2005  AD-INITIAL-VERIFIED-CAS and the TGS
842  18-Apr-2005  Certificate path validation

And these are still under discussion:

Tkt  Description
===  ==================================================
836  What's in a name - InitialVerifiedCAs
864  What's in a name - TD-INVALID-CERTIFICATES
865  What's in a name - TD-TRUSTED-CERTIFICATES
866  What's in a name - TrustedCA definition

840  ECDH
837  KDC certificates
834  AES128 / key strength