Subject: PKINIT open issues update

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:48:04 -0400

I guess it's time to review PKINIT issues again.  Below is a summary of 
issues that were still outstanding as of the last update (July 12), and 
what's been done about them:

#501  PKINIT 009 - Update PA types
      The PA types themselves will be reflected in RFC4120.  However, the
      values for AD-INITIAL-VERIFIED-CAS and TD-DH-PARAMETERS are not
      listed there.  I spoke to Cliff about this, and this registry has
      been turned over to Tom Yu.  I'm expecting a reply from Tom before
      PKINIT goes to last call.

#529  PKINIT 037 - ASN.1 module inconsistency
      This is a placeholder to make sure we check again during WGLC

#678  MILESTONE - PKINIT WGLC
      Well, we've missed this, now haven't we?

#767  reasons for rejecting a PKINIT client
      Was waiting for textual updates to reflect an existing consensus.
      The required changes appeared in PKINIT-27.

#834  PKINIT AES128?
      The WG agreed to address Sam's concerns by making both group 14 and
      aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96 REQUIRED, making support for RSA keys of at
      least 2048 bits RECOMMENDED, and adding text about choice of key
      sizes.  The agreed-on changes were adopted in PKINIT-27.

#839  PKINIT-23 comments: KDC_ERR_KDC_NOT_TRUSTED
      The responses I was waiting for arrived, and consensus was declared
      on the text as it appeared in PKINIT-26.

#840  Elliptic Curve DH support
      We had consensus that ECDH support should not be in the main PKINIT
      document.  The changes needed to implement this consensus were made
      as of PKINIT-27.  I expect to see an ECDH-for-PKINIT document from
      Larry in the near future.

#842  Certificate path validation
      A consensus was reached on "approach A" for making sure that
      interoperable path validation would be possible.  This approach
      was already reflected in PKINIT-26.

#836  What is InitialVerifiedCAs?
#864  What's in a Name - TD-INVALID-CERTIFICATES
#865  What's in a name? - TD-TRUSTED-CERTIFIERS
#866  Definition of TrustedCA
      These tickets were all merged into #866.  A consensus was reached,
      the details of which can be found in that ticket in RT, or in the
      mailing list archives (see the thread "What's in a Name - nearing
      the end?").  The agreed-on changes appeared in PKINIT-27.

#1063 Binding the AS-REP with the AS-REQ
      The problem described in this ticket was presented at the meeting
      in Paris, as was a proposed solution.  Those present compared the
      proposed solution and a couple of other possibilities, and came to
      the conclusion that the proposed solution was the best choice.
      This decision was validated on the mailing list.  Most of the
      agreed-on solution is reflected in PKINIT-27; however, there was a
      concern that ASN.1 comments were not the best place for normative
      requirements.  Andre Scedrov and his team proposed some text for
      this, which hopefully will appear in some form in PKINIT-28.

#837  pkinit comments: confirming kdc certificates
      There are three branches here, all of which are nearly done:
      - On the EKU issue, we've reached consensus, but need to finish
        massaging the text that implements the agreed-on choice.
      - On the certificate naming issue, I believe there is agreement,
        but am awaiting the result of a consensus call to be sure.
      - On the CA trust issue, there has been quite a bit of discussion
        in the last few days, which seems to have converged on some text.
        I'm awaiting comments from the rest of the working group.

#1064 DH octetstring2key test vectors
      This issue is new since the last update.  Love pointed out that
      there were no test vectors on this, and requested that some be
      added.  There was some discussion (see the list archives), and
      Larry says there will be test vectors in PKINIT-28.

Executive Summary:

* Resolved since July 12:
#767  reasons for rejecting a PKINIT client
#834  PKINIT AES128?
#836  What is InitialVerifiedCAs?
#839  PKINIT-23 comments: KDC_ERR_KDC_NOT_TRUSTED
#840  Elliptic Curve DH support
#842  Certificate path validation
#864  What's in a Name - TD-INVALID-CERTIFICATES
#865  What's in a name? - TD-TRUSTED-CERTIFIERS
#866  Definition of TrustedCA

* Still under discussion:
#837  pkinit comments: confirming kdc certificates

* Awaiting completion of action items
#501  PKINIT 009 - Update PA types
#529  PKINIT 037 - ASN.1 module inconsistency
#678  MILESTONE - PKINIT WGLC
#1063 Binding the AS-REP with the AS-REQ
#1064 DH octetstring2key test vectors

We're almost there, folks.  I'd like to see a version submitted within a 
week that is ready for last call.

-- Jeff