Subject: RE: LAST CALL - ECC Support for PKINIT

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:17:43 -0000

I don't want to raise any objection but surely a red flag regarding the
choice of key derivation function (KDC) in this draft.

NIST is soon releasing its recommendation SP 800-56 which sets the
requirements on Pair-Wise key establishment schemes, required for FIPS
certification.

We already have one IETF standardized KDF for use with ECDH, namely the
one in RFC 3278 which is based on ANSI X9.63. It's currently a bit hard
to evaluate if the smartest thing is to align with X9.63 or the current
PKINIT KDF. I'm just flagging this in case there will be facts on the
table soon favoring one path over the other.

Stefan Santesson
Program Manager, Standards Liaison
Windows Security

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeffrey
Hutzelman
Sent: den 12 januari 2006 14:10
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LAST CALL - ECC Support for PKINIT

On Sunday, December 25, 2005 11:24:19 AM -0500 Jeffrey Hutzelman 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> The Kerberos working group is beginning a Last Call on the following
> document:
>
> Title:  ECC Support for PKINIT
> File:   <draft-zhu-pkinit-ecc-00.txt>
>
>    This document describes the use of Elliptic Curve certificates,
>    Elliptic Curve signature schemes and Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman
>    (ECDH) key agreement within the framework of PKINIT - the Kerberos
>    Version 5 extension that provides for the use of public key
>    cryptography.
>
>
> Due to the various winter holidays, I am extending the last call
period
> to a total of three weeks.  Please send comments to the Kerberos
working
> group mailing list, <[email-masked]>, by 2006-01-16.

This last call expires on Monday, and I have so far seen no comments at 
all.  Has anyone even reviewed this document?

I will have a hard time saying this reflects the consensus of the
working 
group if no one speaks up...

-- Jeff