Subject: Rechartering

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:19:09 -0400

The Kerberos working group has now been active for nearly 6 years.  We
  have been charged with two broad tasks.  The first is to "clarify and
  amplify the Kerberos specification", which we largely accomplished with
  the publication of RFC's 3961, 3962, and 4120.

  Our second task is to "select from existing proposals on new or extended
  functionality... and publish these as one or more Proposed Standards".
  This task is fairly open-ended to begin with, and we've been applying a
  somewhat loose interpretation, under which we could undertake work to
  solve any of the problems that were being considered at that time, even
  if we did not adopt a particular direction that was under discussion
  when the WG was formed.  This broad task forms the basis for all of our
  current work items.

  Sam and I feel it is time to revisit the charter, and replace this
  broad, open-ended task with a specific list of work items.  To that
  end, we'd like to hold a discussion in Montreal to develop a list of
  work items and milestones to be included in an updated charter.  We
  expect such a list to include items the group is already working on,
  and previously-discussed proposals which the working group wants to
  take on as work items.  It should not include items which have not
  already been discussed -- this is not an open call for ideas.  Of
  course, it is still appropriate for the group to listen to proposals
  for new work from time to time, and request a charter update to add
  new work items it feels are appropriate.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[email-masked]>
   Chair, IETF Kerberos Working Group
   Carnegie Mellon University - Pittsburgh, PA