Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Recent spam message

From: "Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:00:12 -0600

was not from me. Our mail/spam people are looking into the situation,
and so far it appears to have come from rr.com.

For now i have added myself to the moderated list, until we can see what
happened.

Sorry for the posting.

-- 

  Douglas E. Engert  <[email-masked]>
  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439
  (630) 252-5444

_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg

---

From: Russ Allbery <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:19:21 -0800

"Douglas E. Engert" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The recent e-mail message "Bernie Madoff’s Ethno-Nepotistic Ponzi
> Scheme" was not from me. Our mail/spam people are looking into the
> situation, and so far it appears to have come from rr.com.
>

It's a widespread spam.  I've seen it and other anti-Semitic political
rants that appear to be by the same author on a ton of different technical
lists.  Whoever is sending it is apparently using spamming software that
uses context-specific address forgery, which is sadly becoming
increasingly common.  (The idea is that the spam software uses an address
found "near" the address it's spamming to send the spam, such as an
address harvested from the mailing list archives, to improve the chance
that it will bypass sender filters.)

-- 
Russ Allbery ([email-masked])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg