Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Fwd: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC1510 (3084)

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 22:31:00 +0000

Hi Jennifer,

I guess this is a reject. It was fixed in 4120. [1]

Amusingly put though!

S

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4120

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC1510 (3084)
Date: Thu,  5 Jan 2012 14:13:11 -0800 (PST)
From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC1510,
"The Kerberos Network Authentication Service (V5)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=1510&eid=3084

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Jennifer Black <[email-masked]>

Section: 1.2

Original Text
-------------

    +    "Denial of service" attacks are not solved with Kerberos.  There
         are places in these protocols where an intruder intruder can
         prevent an application from participating in the proper
         authentication steps.  Detection and solution of such attacks
         (some of which can appear to be not-uncommon "normal" failure
         modes for the system) is usually best left to the human
         administrators and users.

Corrected Text
--------------

    +    "Denial of service" attacks are not solved with Kerberos.  There
         are places in these protocols where an intruder can
         prevent an application from participating in the proper
         authentication steps.  Detection and solution of such attacks
         (some of which can appear to be not-uncommon "normal" failure
         modes for the system) is usually best left to the human
         administrators and users.

Notes
-----
Intruder appeared twice.

While that certainly can happen in practice, I don't think the author 
meant to allude to that possibility. :)

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary.

--------------------------------------
RFC1510 (no draft string recorded)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The Kerberos Network Authentication Service (V5)
Publication Date    : September 1993
Author(s)           : J. Kohl, C. Neuman
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Common Authentication Technology
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg