Subject: [Ietf-krb-wg] Proposal: IANA expert review process

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 09:04:54 -0400

Folks, at IETF 81
(http://tools.ietf.org/wg/krb-wg/minutes?item=minutes81.html), I took on
an action item to propose a registration policy based on our discussion.
The proposal was to have expert review with a very low bar (significant
changes to the protocol--for example state machine changes etc would
require ietf action, everything else would basically be fcfs), but
allowing experts to evolve the guidelines with community input over
time.
See the minutes linked above for our discussion.

I'd like to propose the following text and hope we can discuss at our
session on Tuesday.

For the individual registries, include "Registrations in this registry
are managed by the expert review process [RFC 5226] or in exceptional
cases by IESG approval. See section x for guidelines for the experts to
be used with this registry."

X. Expert Review Guidelines

A pool of Kerberos experts will be established by the IESG to manage
Kerberos registries using these guidelines. The IESG may wish to
consider the set of designated IANA experts for existing Kerberos IANA
registries as candidates for this pool.

IANA will select an expert from this pool for each registration
request. The expert will review the registration request and may approve
the registration, decline the registration with comments, recommend that
to go forward the registration should follow the IETF review process or
recommend that to go forward the registration should follow the
standards action process.

Initially, experts will use a permissive process, generally approving
registrations that are architecturally consistent with Kerberos and the
protocol parameter in question. Over time, with input from the
community, the experts may refine the requirements that registrations
are expected to meet. The experts will maintain a current version of
these guidelines in a manner that is generally accessible to the entire
community. As the guidelines evolve, experts may consider the technical
quality of specifications, security impacts of the registrations,
architectural consistency, and interoperability impact. Experts may
require a publicly available specification in order to make certain
registrations.
_______________________________________________
ietf-krb-wg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/ietf-krb-wg