Subject: [L1vpn] Proposed charter for L1VPN WG -- rev 01

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:29:38 -0700

Folks-

 Please check below with the question in mind "whether it's good enough?".
 
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)

Last Modified: 2005-05-11
Chair(s):
 TBD
 TBD

Routing Area Director(s):
 Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
 Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
 Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
 TBD

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn
 Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l1vpn/index.html

Description of Working Group:

 The L1VPN Working Group's task is to specify mechanisms necessary for
 providing a VPN service over a GMPLS-enabled transport service-provider
 network.

 The following two service models will be addressed:

  1. Basic mode: the CE-PE interface's functional repertoire is limited to
     path setup signalling only. Provider's network is not involved in
     distribution of user's routing information.

  2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling capabilities
     as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of information
     between the control planes of the provider and the user to help such
     functions as discovery of reachability information in remote sites,
     or parameters of the part of the provider's network dedicated to
     the user.

 The WG will work on the following items:

  1. Framework document defining the reference network model, L1VPN service
     model, fundamental assumptions, and terminology.

  2. Specification of the L1VPN signaling functionality between the user
     network and the provider network to support the basic mode.

  3. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
     the provider network to support the basic mode.

  4. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the basic
     mode.

  5. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality between
     the user network and the provider network to support the extended mode.

  6. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
     the provider network to support the extended mode.

  7. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
     extended mode.

  8. Applicability guidelines to compare the basic and extended modes.

 Protocol extensions required for L1VPN will be done in cooperation with
 MPLS, CCAMP, OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, L3VPN, and other WGs where necessary. Where
 necessary, the WG will also cooperate with ITU-T.

Milestones:

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Draft of L1VPN framework

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of UNI and NNI basic mode specifications

  Dec 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for UNI and NNI basic mode

  Apr 06 Submit UNI and NNI basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Jun 06 Submit first Internet Drafts of UNI and NNI enhanced mode specifications

  Aug 06 Submit MIB modules for UNI and NNI basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit UNI and NNI enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit L1VPN framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC

  Aug 07 Submit MIB modules for UNI and NNI enhanced mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 00:36:31 +0100

Hi,

That passes the "good enough" test for me.

Should we add a final milestone "Recharter or close WG"? But perhaps we
take that as read.

Thanks for your work on this.

Adrian

---

From: Tomonori TAKEDA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:10:22 +0900

Hi

Looks good to me.

One minor point. Would it be reasonable to suggest deleting a number of 
"UNI and NNI" in Milestones, since we are not using these terms anywhere else?

Best regards,

Tomonori

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:12:08 -0700

Thanks! I'll add the inter-provider case as a future item too :)

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:12:19 -0700

Tomonori,

  Good point! Will do.

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:19:34 -0700

OK, couple minor fixes below.

Please check the "single-AS" wording--this is what we used for L2VPN, and
it seems to apply here too, since the single-provider case may include
multi-AS environments.

Routing Area Advisor:

Technical Advisor(s):
 TBD

Mailing Lists:

 At this point the WG will address the single-AS scenario only. The
 multi-AS/provider scenario may be considered in future.

Milestones:

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of basic mode specifications

  Dec 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for basic mode

  Apr 06 Submit basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Jun 06 Submit first Internet Drafts of enhanced mode specifications

  Aug 06 Submit MIB modules for basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Aug 07 Submit MIB modules for enhanced mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 07 Recharter or disband

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:14:51 +0200

Alex,

sure "good enough", one point is that I would like to make it
explicit that there is an established IETF process for co-ordinating
with the ITU-T.

s/Where necessary, the WG will also cooperate with ITU-T./Where
necessary, the WG shall through the established IETF process also
cooperate with ITU-T.

might seem to be a nit, but I would like to see this kind of statement
whenever we mention co-ordination with bodies outside the IETF.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:43:08 -0700

Loa, Dimitri,

 ok, will fix.