Subject: [L1vpn] WG Action: Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:38:01 -0400

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Routing Area. For additional 
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

+++

Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)
========================================

Current Status: Active Working Group
 
Chair(s):
Hamid Ould-Brahim <[email-masked]>
Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Tomonori Takeda <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l1vpn/index.html

Description of Working Group:
The L1VPN Working Group's task is to specify mechanisms necessary for
providing layer-1 VPN services (establishment of layer-1 connections
between CE devices) over a GMPLS-enabled transport service-provider network.

The following two service models will be addressed:

1. Basic mode: the CE-PE interface's functional repertoire is limited to
path setup signalling only. Provider's network is not involved in
distribution of customer network's routing information.

2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling
capabilities as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of
information between the control planes of the provider and the customer
to help such functions as discovery of reachability information in
remote sites, or parameters of the part of the provider's network
dedicated to the customer.

The WG will work on the following items:

1. Framework document defining the reference network model, L1VPN
service model, fundamental assumptions, and terminology.

2. Specification of the L1VPN signaling functionality between the
customer and the provider network to support the basic mode.

3. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
the provider network to support the basic mode.

4. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the basic
mode.

5. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality
between the customer and the provider network to support the extended mode.

6. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
the provider network to support the extended mode.

7. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
extended mode.

8. Applicability guidelines to compare the basic and extended modes.

At this point the WG will address the single-AS scenario only. The
multi-AS/provider scenario may be considered in future.

Protocol extensions required for L1VPN will be done in cooperation with
MPLS, CCAMP, OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, L3VPN, and other WGs where necessary.

L1VPN WG shall also cooperate with ITU-T SG13 through the established
IETF process, and use documents Y.1312 and Y.1313 (describing L1VPN
requirements and network architectures) as input to its design process.
The documents will be available at the IETF liaison web-site.

Goals and Milestones:
Sep 05    Submit first Internet Draft of L1VPN framework  
Sep 05    Submit first Internet Drafts of basic mode specifications  
Dec 05    Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for basic mode  
Apr 06    Submit basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed 
          Standard  
Jun 06    Submit first Internet Drafts of enhanced mode specifications  
Aug 06    Submit MIB modules for basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed 
          Standard  
Dec 06    Submit enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard  
Dec 06    Submit L1VPN framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC  
Aug 07    Submit MIB modules for enhanced mode to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard  
Dec 07    Recharter or disband  

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn