Subject: [L1vpn] L1VPN Charter Status Update

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:45:26 -0700

Folks-

 Apologies for the prolonged silence. Here's where we are with the
 chartering process.

 1. We've selected the chairs for the WG-to-be. To maintain the tradition
    established with other L?VPN WGs, we will have three chairs (*):

     - Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
     - Tomonori TAKEDA <[email-masked]>
     - Hamid Ould-Brahim <[email-masked]>

 2. The charter has been to two IESG telechats. We received some minor
    comments at the first one, and a modified version (included at the end
    of the message) has been approved for external review this week.
    After the external review, the charter will have to show up at one
    more IESG telechat for the final approval (two weeks from now).

 3. A time slot has been requested for the meeting in Paris.

 That's all for now.
    
---
 *) For the record, the tradition-related part was a joke.
    
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (L1vpn)

Status: proposed WG

Last Modified: 2005-06-09
Chair(s):
 Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
 Hamid Ould-Brahim <[email-masked]>
 Tomonori TAKEDA <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
 Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
 Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
 Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
 TBD

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn
 Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l1vpn/index.html

Description of Working Group:

 The L1VPN Working Group's task is to specify mechanisms necessary for
 providing layer-1 VPN services (establishment of layer-1 connections
 between CE devices) over a GMPLS-enabled transport service-provider network.

 The following two service models will be addressed:

  1. Basic mode: the CE-PE interface's functional repertoire is limited to
     path setup signalling only. Provider's network is not involved in
     distribution of customer network's routing information.

  2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling capabilities
     as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of information
     between the control planes of the provider and the customer to help such
     functions as discovery of reachability information in remote sites,
     or parameters of the part of the provider's network dedicated to
     the customer.

 The WG will work on the following items:

  1. Framework document defining the reference network model, L1VPN service
     model, fundamental assumptions, and terminology.

  2. Specification of the L1VPN signaling functionality between the
     customer and the provider network to support the basic mode.

  3. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
     the provider network to support the basic mode.

  4. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the basic
     mode.

  5. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality between
     the customer and the provider network to support the extended mode.

  6. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
     the provider network to support the extended mode.

  7. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
     extended mode.

  8. Applicability guidelines to compare the basic and extended modes.

 At this point the WG will address the single-AS scenario only. The
 multi-AS/provider scenario may be considered in future.

 Protocol extensions required for L1VPN will be done in cooperation with
 MPLS, CCAMP, OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, L3VPN, and other WGs where necessary.

 L1VPN WG shall also cooperate with ITU-T SG13 through the established IETF
 process, and use documents Y.1312 and Y.1313 (describing L1VPN
 requirements and network architectures) as input to its design process.
 The documents will be available at the IETF liaison web-site.

Milestones:

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Draft of L1VPN framework

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of basic mode specifications

  Dec 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for basic mode

  Apr 06 Submit basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Jun 06 Submit first Internet Drafts of enhanced mode specifications

  Aug 06 Submit MIB modules for basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit L1VPN framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC

  Aug 07 Submit MIB modules for enhanced mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 07 Recharter or disband

Related Documents:

 draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-03.txt
 draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-02.txt
 draft-ouldbrahim-ppvpn-gvpn-bgpgmpls-06.txt
 draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-overlay-05.txt

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn