Subject: [L1vpn] Re: Updates of L1VPN applicability I-D

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:12:31 +0200

hi tomonori

the below is indeed going around the lines of the initial proposal

"position the basic mode and the enhanced mode as core modes, and
application of those core modes comprise various service models (Overlay
Extension, Virtual Node, Virtual Link, etc.)

In that case, we may want to elaborate the definition of the basic mode and
the enhanced mode a bit more."

so there are two core modes - which is at the end the core of the protocol
work - that need to be further elaborated and then application of them to
the specific (sub-)service models (that may require specific profiling)

---

Hi Dimitri,
(Now copying to the l1vpn mailing list for sharing information)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I think this is related to how we interpret charter text, so it would be
nice if we all can share the same view.

My understanding is that "basic mode" and "enhanced mode" are a sort of
high-level modes (or service models). It could contain multiple (sub-)
service models.

The definition of basic mode is, as described in charter, "the CE-PE
interface's functional repertoire is limited to path setup signalling
only". I think there could be detailed various (sub-) service models
derived from this concept. The same applies for the enhanced mode.

So, what I would like to suggest in the updated version is trying to
capture this. Namely,

- Under the basic mode (section 6), position detailed (sub-) service models
     - Overlay service model in section 6.1
- Under the enhanced mode (section 7), position detailed (sub-) service
models
     - Overlay Extension service model in section 7.1
     - Virtual Node service model in section 7.2
     - Virtual Link service model in section 7.3
     - Per-VPN Peer service model in section 7.4

NOTE: Since we only have one sub service model for the basic mode, we may
want to shrink the structure.

The other alternative is, if I understand your suggestions correctly, to
position the basic mode and the enhanced mode as core modes, and
application of those core modes comprise various service models (Overlay
Extension, Virtual Node, Virtual Link, etc.)

In that case, we may want to elaborate the definition of the basic mode and
the enhanced mode a bit more.

How do you think?

Best regards,
Tomonori

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn

---

From: Tomonori TAKEDA <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:14:31 +0900

Hi Dimitri,

Thanks for your comment.

Personnally, I am in favor of interpreting the basic mode and the enhanced
mode as high-level modes (or service models).

Specifically, current description of enhanced mode from charter text is:

"2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling
capabilities as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of
information between the control planes of the provider and the customer
to help such functions as discovery of reachability information in
remote sites, or parameters of the part of the provider's network
dedicated to the customer."

I think this means various things. On one side, we are talking about
discovery of reachability information in remote sites. On the other side,
we are talking about discovery of paramaters of the part of the
provider's network dedicated to the customer. I am not sure whether we
can say the former is the application of the latter, and vice versa.

The bottom line is, I think it would be too stringent to define "THE
enhanced mode". Rather, it may be reasonable to interpret the enhanced
mode as a high-level concept, and position detailed (sub-) service
models under it.

When we get to the protocol work, I agree we need to think about the
"core set". 

Please let me know how you think.

Best regards,
Tomonori