Subject: [L1vpn] Please post draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-05.txt

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:17:35 -0000

Proto-write-up for draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-05

Intended status : Standards Track

Recommend that this I-D is progressed in parallel with three other
I-Ds:
- draft-ietf-l1vpn-applicability-basic-mode
- draft-ietf-l1vpn-basic-mode
- draft-ietf-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery

> (1.a)  Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Has the
>        Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
>        document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
>        version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication?

Adrian Farrel is the document shepherd.
He has personally reviewed the I-D and believes it is ready for
forwarding to the IESG for publication.

> (1.b)  Has the document had adequate review both from key WG members
>        and from key non-WG members?  Does the Document Shepherd have
>        any concerns about the depth or breadth of the reviews that
>        have been performed?

I-D had good level of discussions in WG at early stages.

The draft was introduced to the OSPF WG and presented at an OSPF WG
meeting as it was being developed. This led to constructive feedback
that was incorporated in the I-D.

WG last call was shared with the OSPF WG and this led to additional
review comments.

> (1.c)  Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document
>        needs more review from a particular or broader perspective,
>        e.g., security, operational complexity, someone familiar with
>        AAA, internationalization or XML?

No concerns.

> (1.d)  Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or
>        issues with this document that the Responsible Area Director
>        and/or the IESG should be aware of?  For example, perhaps he
>        or she is uncomfortable with certain parts of the document, or
>        has concerns whether there really is a need for it.  In any
>        event, if the WG has discussed those issues and has indicated
>        that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
>        concerns here.  Has an IPR disclosure related to this document
>        been filed?  If so, please include a reference to the
>        disclosure and summarize the WG discussion and conclusion on
>        this issue.

The document is sound.

> (1.e)  How solid is the WG consensus behind this document?  Does it
>        represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
>        others being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and
>        agree with it?

There were no problems with consensus for this document.

However, there was strong debate about whether an IGP should be used
for this function or whether it was better to use BGP (see the write-up
for draft-ietf-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery). The conclusion of this debate
was that:
- Using OSPF has advantages in the eyes of optical equipment vendors
  since they already implement OSPF-TE, but do not have BGP
  implementations.
- There are some potential scaling issues for OSPF. This point is now
  explicitly stated in the I-D, with the caveat that this OSPF
  deployment is limited to within the optical domain and so does not
  have wider implications for OSPF in the Internet. An alternate
  deployment using multiple instances to reduce the scaling impact is
  also presented.

The WG decided that it would be best to have both an OSPF and a BGP
solution proceed at this stage.

> (1.f)  Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
>        discontent?  If so, please summarise the areas of conflict in
>        separate email messages to the Responsible Area Director.  (It
>        should be in a separate email because this questionnaire is
>        entered into the ID Tracker.)

No threats. No discontent.

> (1.g)  Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
>        document satisfies all ID nits?  (See
>        http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html and
>        http://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/).  Boilerplate checks are
>        not enough; this check needs to be thorough.  Has the document
>        met all formal review criteria it needs to, such as the MIB
>        Doctor, media type and URI type reviews?

All checks made.

> (1.h)  Has the document split its references into normative and
>        informative?  Are there normative references to documents that
>        are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear
>        state?  If such normative references exist, what is the
>        strategy for their completion?  Are there normative references
>        that are downward references, as described in [RFC3967]?  If
>        so, list these downward references to support the Area
>        Director in the Last Call procedure for them [RFC3967].

References split.
No downrefs.

> (1.i)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
>        consideration section exists and is consistent with the body
>        of the document?  If the document specifies protocol
>        extensions, are reservations requested in appropriate IANA
>        registries?  Are the IANA registries clearly identified?  If
>        the document creates a new registry, does it define the
>        proposed initial contents of the registry and an allocation
>        procedure for future registrations?  Does it suggest a
>        reasonable name for the new registry?  See [RFC2434].  If the
>        document describes an Expert Review process has Shepherd
>        conferred with the Responsible Area Director so that the IESG
>        can appoint the needed Expert during the IESG Evaluation?

This is a Standards Track I-D that makes a request for one new codepoint
from an existing registry. The registry and request are clearly
explained in the IANA Considerations section.

> (1.j)  Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
>        document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
>        code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate correctly in
>        an automated checker?

No such sections.

> (1.k)  The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
>        Announcement Write-Up.  Please provide such a Document
>        Announcement Write-Up.  Recent examples can be found in the
>        "Action" announcements for approved documents.  The approval
>        announcement contains the following sections:
>
>        Technical Summary
>           Relevant content can frequently be found in the abstract
>           and/or introduction of the document.  If not, this may be
>           an indication that there are deficiencies in the abstract
>           or introduction.

This document defines an Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) based
Layer-1 Virtual Private Network (L1VPN) auto-discovery mechanism.
This mechanism enables provider edge (PE) devices using OSPF to
dynamically learn about existence of each other, and attributes of
configured customer edge (CE) links and their associations with
L1VPNs.  This document builds on L1VPN framework and requirements,
and provides a L1VPN basic mode auto-discovery mechanism.

>        Working Group Summary
>           Was there anything in WG process that is worth noting?  For
>           example, was there controversy about particular points or
>           were there decisions where the consensus was particularly
>           rough?

See the discussion above wrt the BGP/OSPF choice.

>        Document Quality
>           Are there existing implementations of the protocol?  Have a
>           significant number of vendors indicated their plan to
>           implement the specification?  Are there any reviewers that
>           merit special mention as having done a thorough review,
>           e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a
>           conclusion that the document had no substantive issues?  If
>           there was a MIB Doctor, Media Type or other expert review,
>           what was its course (briefly)?  In the case of a Media Type
>           review, on what date was the request posted?

OSPF-TE is widely implemented and deployed for optical networks. This
document makes a very simple extension to that work and so is simple to
add to existing implementations.

Although L1VPNs are not currently deployed, various experiments and
interop demos have been conducted. Most of these have focused on
signaling with manual configuration rather than autodiscovery, but at
least one implementation with OSPF autodiscovery is known of, and this
has been used to show a proof-of-concept.

Note that there is nothing to prevent the development of an identical
set of extensions to ISIS-TE. This has been put to the WG as an option
on several occasions, but there have been no volunteers to write an I-D
and no indication of any intent to implement. This should not be a
surprise as, although there are many implementations of ISIS-TE and a
very few of GMPLS ISIS, there are no known GMPLS ISIS implementations
for optical equipment. Nothing precludes a future development of
suitable ISIS extensions being developed in the future either in the
L1VPN WG or the ISIS WG.

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn