Subject: [L1vpn] Protocol Action: 'BGP-based Auto-Discovery for Layer-1 VPNs' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:44:58 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'BGP-based Auto-Discovery for Layer-1 VPNs '
   <draft-ietf-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Ward and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-bgp-auto-discovery-05.txt

Technical Summary

The purpose of this document is to define a BGP-based auto-discovery
mechanism for Layer-1 VPNs (L1VPNs). The auto-discovery mechanism for
L1VPNs allows the provider network devices to dynamically discover
the set of PEs having ports attached to CE members of the same VPN.
That information is necessary for completing the signaling phase of
L1VPN connections. One main objective of a L1VPN auto-discovery
mechanism is to support the "single-end provisioning" model, where
addition of a new port to a given L1VPN would involve configuration
changes only on the PE that has this port and on the CE that is
connected to the PE via this port.

Working Group Summary

See the discussion above wrt the OSPF/BGP choice.

Document Quality

BGP is widely implemented and deployed for packet networks and for
L3VPNs. This document makes a very simple extension to that work and so
is simple to add to existing implementations.

Although L1VPNs are not currently deployed, various experiments and
interop demos have been conducted. Most of these have focused on
signaling with manual configuration rather than autodiscovery, but an
implementation with an early version of BGP autodiscovery is known of,
and this has been used to show a proof-of-concept.

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn