Subject: [L1vpn] Protocol Action: 'OSPF Based Layer 1 VPN Auto-Discovery' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:44:51 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'OSPF Based Layer 1 VPN Auto-Discovery '
   <draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Ward and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l1vpn-ospf-auto-discovery-06.txt

Technical Summary

This document defines an Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) based
Layer-1 Virtual Private Network (L1VPN) auto-discovery mechanism.
This mechanism enables provider edge (PE) devices using OSPF to
dynamically learn about existence of each other, and attributes of
configured customer edge (CE) links and their associations with
L1VPNs.  This document builds on L1VPN framework and requirements,
and provides a L1VPN basic mode auto-discovery mechanism.

Working Group Summary

See the discussion above wrt the BGP/OSPF choice.

Document Quality

OSPF-TE is widely implemented and deployed for optical networks. This
document makes a very simple extension to that work and so is simple to
add to existing implementations.

Although L1VPNs are not currently deployed, various experiments and
interop demos have been conducted. Most of these have focused on
signaling with manual configuration rather than autodiscovery, but at
least one implementation with OSPF autodiscovery is known of, and this
has been used to show a proof-of-concept.

Note that there is nothing to prevent the development of an identical
set of extensions to ISIS-TE. This has been put to the WG as an option
on several occasions, but there have been no volunteers to write an I-D
and no indication of any intent to implement. This should not be a
surprise as, although there are many implementations of ISIS-TE and a
very few of GMPLS ISIS, there are no known GMPLS ISIS implementations
for optical equipment. Nothing precludes a future development of
suitable ISIS extensions being developed in the future either in the
L1VPN WG or the ISIS WG.

_______________________________________________
L1vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn