Subject: [L2sm] Using VPN to offer eMBB, URLLC, mMTC service

From: "Aijun Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 15:51:47 +0800

Hi, All:

IP convergence is continuing to drive new classes of devices to begin
communicating via IP.  Examples of such devices could include STB boxes for
IP video distribution, cell tower electronics (macro or micro cells),
infrastructure Wi-Fi access points, and devices for machine-to-machine (M2M)
or Internet of Things (IoT) applications.

In some cases, these classes of devices represent a very large deployment
base, on the order of thousands or even millions of devices network-wide. In
5G slicing case, three typical services offered to these devices are

1. Enhanced Mobile Broadband(eMBB)

2. Ultra-Reliable and Low Lantency Communication (URLLC)

3. Massive Machine Type Communications (mMTC)

These services demand the network performance with wide variety of
characteristics such as data rate, latency, loss rate, reliability and many
other parameters.

My question is the followings:

1.       Can we use VPN service model to offer such kind of new services to
customers? 

2.       Should we define new services characteristic that is based on the
new slicing capabilities provided by network devices? 

Best Regards.

Aijun Wang

Network R&D and Operation Support Department

China Telecom Corporation Limited Beijing Research Institute,Beijing, China.