Subject: Re: Configuring LNS to establish outgoing session

From: "David Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:42:27 -0500

Right... I have been looking at and using the request-dialout command in
vpdn-group... But once I have those configured, what exactly do I have to do to
the LNS to cause the dialout? Send it a PPP packet? Send it an IP packet? And
how will it know from this packet that it must establish and outgoing session?

"W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]> on 12/22/99 01:23:23 PM

To:   David Wong/Bos/Teradyne@Teradyne
cc:

Subject:  Re: Configuring LNS to establish outgoing session

On the LNS, the key is request-dialout in the vpdn-group
On the LAC, the key is accept-dialout in the vpdn-group

Headed out of town for the holidays now, so that's all I have time for.
Search on CCO for more info...

- Mark

David Wong wrote:
>
> I'm trying to understand which documents/commands I need to look at and also
how
> to cause an LNS (in this case, a Cisco Access Server) to initiate an Outgoing
> Session to the LAC. I've looked at the L2TP Dialout documentation for some
help,
> and have configured PPP for one of the serial ports of the access server.
>
> So is the basic idea that I have a device try to open up a PPP connection to
the
> LNS, and then the LNS will start sending Outgoing Call Requests to the LAC?
> (assuming that a tunnel is already established--also, on that note, is there a
> way to cause an LNS to establish a tunnel to the LAC).
>
> I'm having problems transitioning from the theoretical to the practical
> operation of L2TP, and I really would appreciate any help to relevant
> documentation, or maybe even a checklist with what I need to do.
>
> Also, on a similar note, if I wanted to configure an Access Server (such as a
> Cisco box) as a LAC, what would I have to do to get the server to initiate a
> tunnel and an incoming session?

---

From: David Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:37:55 -0800

You need to setup a dialer interface and make it "dialer vpdn".  Like
Mark said, check CCO:

http://cco.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120 
t/120t5/l2tpout.htm

/// Dave ///